Episode #83

Baro's trial was held two days later.

I was called in as well to testify on the case, along with my family and everyone involved—with assistance from the Baali the victims from Klia were brought here too, so were representatives and relatives of kennar of the victims our kennar was related to.

That day the lone Medan was hated more than the whole enemy fleet. In all honesty, this was uncalled for.

In the crowd I saw Leru, clenching her small fists but remaining strong. Tarrenat was not allowed to the hearing.

Despite all my efforts, Baro was sentenced to death anyway. However, my position allowed me to request one thing from the Council: to be his executioner.

People of tradition, death was something we had no grand last words for. In earlier times we'd been leaving those to the flames, and cremated remains were returned to the next of kin. In the modern era of starfaring, the standard procedure was to disintegrate the body in the Core of a ship. Before that, the relatives would get to see the deceased one last time. What was I going to tell them in a while?

When I entered the execution chamber, accompanied by the Peacekeepers and medical personnel, Baro smiled. It was sad yet a smile of relief. My choice made him happy for some reason.

Side by side with the victim party, Tarrenat and the rest of Baro's tiny family were allowed to watch the execution. I couldn't see them through the darkened window, though I felt their strong emotions pretty thoroughly. Resentment, anger, pain, sorrow, loss, despair, and disappointment: I had failed them.

I was fine with this small and silent storm until the massive one was to pass.

I waited while the preparations were made and I was presented with the injector. I felt weak in the knees, making my gait heavy.

"Are you ready, Baro?" I approached him with the tool.

"Yeah." His sleeveless shirt bared the pale arm, defenseless before his messenger of death. "I am ready."

"Do you have any regrets?" I asked. He looked at me and I clearly saw in his eyes he was prepared to pass on.

"No."

You are lying, aren't you?

"It will hurt a little, but it is the best I can do for you."

"Thank you."

I took his arm and touched it with the injector, pressing the trigger. He closed his eyes as the serum was slowly entering his vein. And I was standing there looking at him until the very last moment. The bright lights of the room shone upon his white, motionless figure.

Goodbye, Baro.