Episode #21

Despite all Orewen's efforts, Mom's unusual body condition, known as the Cold Sleep, prevailed. Nobody knows exactly why soma sometimes keeps dying people between life and death and their brain in a state of REM sleep—except that no actual movement is observed—for a prolonged period. There are only two known outcomes, however. One is, of course, an awakening; the other is the slow death of soma and the eventual death of the organs. The latter was the most common.

Mom, what kind dream are you having?

Seeing my discouraged mood, Orewen came over, squatted down and put his hand on my shoulder. "Avila is not a person who gives up without a fight. Trust your mom, Falaha. We don't die that easily."

You are lying now, aren't you, Uncle. You are bad at those things.

I frowned. "How much time does she have?"

Orewen became quiet, looking me in the eyes very seriously.

"Around thirty days at best. If only Kieren was here... Now with her Node gone, Falaighnn is the sole thing that can communicate to her soma directly. It will take a lot more time than she has to grow a new Node. She will be stable for a while, but there's nothing more I can do to help her."

I hugged him tightly and nestled up to his stubbled chin with my cheek. Don't be sad, Uncle. He hugged me in return and I got lost in his huge, strong arms.

"Falaighnn," I whispered in his ear. "We can use mine."

"Since when do you have one?" There was too much suspicion in his voice.

"Since that fight last year." I blushed and was glad he couldn't see it. "By the way, Eyuran's soma got worse. It now eats power cells."

"Eeh?" He snickered. "If this continues, he will have to spend the rest of his life somewhere in the woods away from all technology. Dear Ancestor, he needs to learn how to control the Eater properly, and fast."

"Not that you can control yours any better," I reminded him bluntly.

"I assume you've mastered Falaighnn then?" Sensing sarcasm, I sighed.

"No..." But I had to master it. We both knew that.

I let Uncle go and he stood up.

"Ah, how's Eyuran?" I looked around. My cousin was nowhere to be seen. "Where is he?"

"Changing. His eye will restore in a couple of weeks. The teeth will grow back a tad faster. Aside from that, he has no serious damage." He scratched his head. "I suspect his soma has drained the extra energy from the power cells to resist traumas... It is already way more powerful than mine. So don't worry about the guy. He's a tough one." Orewen bowed down to me and whispered. "By the way, what happened to the Medan folks? They're so obedient."

"I kicked their leader in the—head," I whispered back, averting my eyes. "Don't get me wrong, I don't trust them, but things better be like this for a while."

Orewen smiled and patted me on the head.

"You've grown."

Just for this short moment, his words made me happy.

"Uncle, I need you and Eyuran to help me with Falaighnn. I promise I will master it within twenty days." I paused. "In case the search for Father—takes longer." I couldn't bring myself to say fails. So I set the timer in the siSystem to twenty days.

"Twenty?"

I knew it was too little. Orewen studied my face for a few seconds, but nodded. "Understood," he confirmed, and then added, "Commander."

"Also, I want you and Eyu both to rest and get well. You might have a lot of work later."

"I'm going to make something for Rifa first, I'm sure she hasn't eaten yet. She can't swallow a thing when she gets stressed. You hungry?"

"I am." I couldn't eat another packed snack. They were making me even hungrier. As for cooking, I wasn't any good either. "Would you mind making something for everyone?"

"I will." Then he loudly asked, pointing at the few Medans nearby, "Do you know if any of them are of use in the kitchen? It's not like I'm going to feed all of those people alone."

To his surprise, there were some.

On my way from the infirmary I called Baro, now patched up, and ordered him to gear his people up for the worst.

Everyone was hoping we wouldn't run into Harvesters here in Klia. The threat of Hunters alone is troublesome enough. But the two usually appear hand in hand.

Dressed in combat pressure suits, Baro and I were heading to Aunt Rifa.

"Rjgnis, what are these painted red lines on the floor and walls I saw in the hallways leading to the Command Center?" The Medan looked baffled as we passed one of the markings.

"Safety Zone." Mom drew these to keep the two certain ones away. Not telling you, though.