Episode #38

How confident Dorgu was, marching alone freely almost anywhere he chose. Everyone wanted his head, but none dared to take it. Of course, he didn't have plans to set foot inside the Avlaora territories yet. If caught there he'd be torn to shreds, along with his Sangu and their whole Enclave. The ferocious white Baali of kata Avlaora knew no fear and bowed to no one, especially to someone from a younger kata. So Dorgu continued to pluck out weaker opponents for now and add fresh 'material' to his group that could become his strength. And while kata Avlaora had their hands full with other stray Sangu and their followers, Dorgu gathered forces and waited for the Avlaora to be weakened by others, so he could deal the final blow.

His Sangu, Shaamta, topped the Death List of all the Baali who honored Somg. Yet none of the nearest allies, none of the Azuri or Ashantri Yajur, nor even their Sangu, would come to help. Even teamed up, they were too afraid of Shaamta and Dorgu's countless and all-powerful children and other kin. I should have asked the Avlaora Baali for help when I had that opportunity. But being a young Sangu, I had been too afraid of them. Now I was on my own.

We were on our own.

I had messed up badly and Dorgu used that in his favor. Why did it have to be him?!

My mother, Yajur of Dakha, and my local Baali brethren were not enough to defend everyone, hardly even themselves. Our resources were limited; we'd be outnumbered and overwhelmed instantly.

You really left me no choice, my beautiful monster.

For the Baali we, Sangu, are the sacred creatures of power, but most of all, we are Sangaru experts with Master access privileges. Living systems are our specialty. Sangaru is the finest of living technology and its main objective is to protect the life of the carrier. We Sangu live to improve this system—our task is to create the perfect environment for adaptation and development, and transfer all the successful and useful innovations to our offspring. Natural evolution is no longer operational for systems with Sangaru. This time-lock allows the Baali to evolve much faster and on a larger scale: complex, high-quality species upgrades inherited from Sangu dominate in any case, even if one of the parents was 'dated'. But we also are able to make changes in already-living beings on the tiniest scale—except for, of course, another Sangu.

We are the pillars of the whole Baali civilization. The destruction of a Sangu eventually brings the downfall of their group, however large, unless the group finds another Sangu to mend, protect, and evolve them. Alima Eni called this a 'god hunt'.

Many are trying to win Sangu over with attention and gifts, and the desire to woo us is too strong. If Sangu is interested in someone, that person becomes interesting to the entire population of a Motherworld or Enclave. If the person is male, he is in high demand with the females, or can become a father of a female Sangu's sons. If the person is female, she can become the mother of male Sangu's daughters, which would be in high demand with other males. All children of a male Sangu are female. Only female Sangu produce male offspring and are more likely to produce a Sangu.

Our life force unconsciously attracts both males and females. Sangu is like a fountain of vitality, which can obscure the mind and completely emotionally consume those nearby. We are a drug of pleasure and power.

Powerful Sangu have countless followers and supporters. Like Shaamta, who dwells in Dorgu's Enclave, Sangu live in the Nests of the strongest Baali and are surrounded by a whole flock of them, their personal guards, who also serve them. But in reality it is we Sangu who protect and serve everyone else. We are the focus of passions. It is usually said that Sangu always sleep in someone's bed. We are kept in luxury and comfort—Sangu live off gifts and offerings—but we are not mere decorations; we are the real power. The support of Sangu can make the 'owner' indestructible and prosperous.