immoderation (1)

Dee leans in for a kiss, her eyes closed, her body urgent. Nova panics, stepping back, stopping her with his hands on her shoulders. Her eyes open and she quickly drops her head. 'Sorry, I don't, I didn't--' she says mumbling.

She grabs her bag, quickly heading back around the house. 'Dee, wait!' He shouts after her. She doesn't make it far before he pulls her back. He puts her against the wall, attacking her with his mouth. She responds in moans, pulling him closer, her hands gripping the front of his shirt. A beeping begins, interrupting them. 'No, don't stop,' she whispers. He obliges, pushing into her and resuming their kiss, the beeping getting louder and louder.

He groans, his alarm's continued beeping bringing him from his sleep. He's on his stomach, his covers twisted and at the edge of the bed. He reaches for the alarm, hitting snooze. He winces, a pain in his groin. He turns over, the source of the pain embarrassingly obvious. Fuck.

********

Over the course of the next few weeks, Dee and Nova's relationship seems off. He runs into her out with Latto and she barely speaks to him.

'Hey, Dee,' he says with a smile. She pauses before speaking, 'Hey.' 'I heard you got in the booth yesterday.' She nods, avoiding eye contact. 'Maybe I'll get to hear it soon.' 'Maybe.' She offers nothing else, still refusing to look directly at him. 'I'll see you later then.' She nods, starting away. Latto gives him a sympathetic look before following her. 

She would still ride with him to and from school but their usual back and forth seems out of place, distant.

Nova watches as Dee laughs loudly, her voice echoing in the car. As usual, she's laughing harder than him and Key. She pulls it back, trying to stop laughing. 'Why she always laughin' like them howling lor monkeys,' Key says, pointing at her. She cackles, unable to contain it any longer. It infects them all, the car full of laughter.

'I ain't never seen you laugh like that before,' Nova says. She's still coming down, dabbing at her tears, her shoulders still heaving. 'She always over-laughing,' Key starts, taking out his phone. 'Watch this.' He pats her shoulder when his camera is ready. ''Memba that time ya moms tried to hit that jank with us?' She bursts into laughter again, covering her mouth as the tears resume. She watches Key mimic her mom, moving his arms stiffly and making a strained face. She laughs even louder, keeling over.

She's still laughing two minutes later when they pull in front of Key's house. 'You coming with?' Key asks, gathering his things. She nods, starting to calm down again. Nova attempts to hide his disappointment. 'I'll see y'all in the morning then.' 'Oh, my brother taking me tomorrow, I'm coming late.' She replies, starting out the door. 'Aight, see you at school I guess.' She nods, closing the door.

He pulls off, his facade gone and his disappointment showing. She been going to Key house ever since... I haven't even had five minutes alone with her. He sighs as he passes her house. You're such a dumbass Nova, I never should've let that happen.

****

At home, Nova listens to Nia's excited explanations. 'I already have reservations for the first night so bring something nice. I'm wearing light blue so wear that too.' she says. 'I don't have fancy stuff,' he replies, picking at his comforter. 'Just wear a button up and a nice jacket. And no sneakers!' She continues, going on and on about sightseeing, nighttime plans and coordinating outfits. He nods occasionally, checking for notifications while she speaks. One, in particular, stands out.