◈Chapter 2◈ "Reminiscent"

"Focus Len! You've been making the same mistake a lot of times already." His piano instructor scolded him. "Again!"

Len did as he was told and played the piece again. His petite fingers slid across the ivory keys with such ease as he played Beethhoven's "Moonlight Sonata mvt no.3". But as he neared the climax of the song his hands suddenly slipped that caused him to press both the key was supposed to play and the key beside it. He never saw the ruler before it hit his hands.

"How do you keep on making almost the same mistake every time. I already explained you the easiest way to approach the keys with the size of your pathetic hands. What is wrong with you?! You're tempobis all over the place. I told you to go faster." His stren piano teacher yelled at him. Len's eyes were filled with fear. Fear for his own life. He almost forgot how scary his instructor could be when he was angry.

He fretted every time that he would have his Piano lessons. His father accepts nothing less than perfection. Especially from his 'only' child. So he instructed his son's piano instructor, Kiyoteru-sensei, to do anything as he deemed necessary for perfection.

Len got ready for the pain that is to come. Kiyoteru-sensei forcefully gripped his hands and positioned it, palm facing upward. The young pianist shut his eyes and braced himself for the sharp pain that the ruler would bring. But it never came.

He dared to open his eyes and what first came to his sight was the sadistic grin his teacher had.

"Though I am frustrated with you right now, I will refrain from hitting you now. You're performance is in a few days."

Yes. The musical gala that was held at the musical conservatory once a year as a showcase for Japan's most promising child musicians. Only a few were chosen to perform.

"It is with great honor that you are chosen as the last performer. If you keep failing to perform this simple piece you will surely bring shame to your father's name."

Len stared at his usually brutal instructor, confused and relieved. For now, he was safe. But the tingling fear he had has still not subsided. All this pressure, this fear, pressed down on him like a metal weight.

"Now play it without making another mistake or you go to bed with no dinner." His instructor ordered before going back to drinking his evening tea. It was almost night but he still had his lessons. The Summer vacation that almost every student longs for is the exact thing that provides Hus life with mote fear. He had no classes to attend, no more escapes from this for two months.

The constant fear of living with his sadistic instructor under the same room made him unsettled. He was never safe. Eyes were constantly on him, scrutinizing his every move.

"I said play it again!" Kiyoteru yelled at Len.

His sensei's strict ways perfectly fitted his father's personality and expectations.

With aching hands, he started to play. With every move his hands made, with every twist, turn, press, the pain just increased. But he went on. He gritted his teeth and held back the tears that threatened to fall. He would not cry and he never will.

Since his mother and sister left, he didn't live a normal life anymore. But if this is the price for their happiness, if every tear he secretly shed, every pain he felt was worth every smile they made. If his pain is the cost of their happiness, then so be it.

Len could almost imagine the relief he will feel after the song. He was nearing the end. It was almost near. He was sure he would finish it with no mistakes until...

*clink* He presses the wrong key.

"That is it! Off to bed with no dinner with you young man. I will make sure this reach your father's attention." His teacher yelled at him.