Chapter 16: Hoenn's Protector

This chapter is a little bit of a closure, but not quite. There's still the epilogue, so if you think this chapter is a little depressing at the end, don't hate me. Time will pass, our heroes will mature, and things will turn out how you guys and I want it to. Happy reading! ^.^

-----------------------------------------------------

It all happened so quickly, but we were alive. It was thanks to Hoopa that we made it out of the Abandoned Ship before it collapsed on us. The Pokemon had warped us to a small island near the Abandoned Ship, or what was the Abandoned Ship. It was now gone. The whole thing had collapsed.

"So that's it," Blaise said.

I looked at him and nodded my head. "I guess so. We should head back home soon."

He nodded his head. "Yeah..."

I could tell something was the matter with him, but I didn't bother to ask. He then walked over to Zinnia. She looked up at him and smiled.

"What's up?"

"I suppose you want this," he said before he handed her something. It was the Scanner!

"Y-yeah! Thank you, but...you should have it," she said before shoving it away from him. "Your father made it, so you should be the one to have it."

He looked at her with a confused look on his face. "My...father? He's dead."

"He is, but...wait, Courtney hasn't given it to you yet?"

"Given me what?" he asked before he looked over at me. I then remembered that his father had erased some of his memories, and that I had to give him the journal in order for him to recover them. I reached into my bag as I walked over to him before handing him the journal. When he accepted it, I saw him flinch. He then rubbed his forehead before looking at Zinnia.

"I understand now...but take it anyways. I have no use for it. Do with it what you please," he said before he held out the Scanner to her. "He may be your uncle, but he's like your father as well. He would rather have you hold onto it than me. I am not one who wants to carry the burden that you have. I may be your cousin, but I'm no Draconid. By blood, yes, but not in the way you are. I would rather go somewhere and live the rest of my days in peace with Courtney and our Pokemon."

I blushed when he mentioned my name. I then looked over to see what Zinnia was doing. She seemed to be thinking about what Blaise had said, and then she looked down at Aster and then at her Altaria, Heather.

"We know what we must do," she said as she took the Scanner from Blaise before crushing it in her own hands. The small device then fell into a few pieces to where it was beyond repair. She then turned towards us and nodded.

"You two...thank you, and Blaise?"

"Yeah?"

"Keep the journal. It was given to you for a reason."

He paused for a moment before he nodded his head."I understand."

She then smiled and then walked over to where Sapphire, Steven, Ruby, and Wally were just leaving Blaise and I alone.

"So...?" I started.

"So...what?"

"What was that about you telling Zinnia that you and I were going to live together?"

I saw his face flush and he averted eye contact with me. "Ahh...about that..."

"Yes...?"

"Um...later...you'll understand later."

I sighed. "I thought you were done keeping secrets."

"Well, this is different. It's not the time to tell you yet."

"Alright, but you'll have to tell me soon," I smirked.

"Heh. Of course," he replied as he looked at me with his small smile. "It will be soon."

---------------------------------------------------------

"Well, we should head back to Mirage Island and let everyone know that Team Plasma is gone," Zinnia announced. "So let's go!"

Just as I was about to get onto Jet's back, I felt someone grab my shoulder. When I turned around, I saw that it was Steven.

"Sapphire? May I talk to you?"

"Sure. What is it, Steven?" I asked before he let go of my shoulder. I could see that he had a look that meant that this was serious.

"I am going on another journey, but...it will just be alone this time."

"What? Why?"

"I...I have something that I need to think about, and I need--no Hoenn--needs you to stay here and be its Champion."

I felt a strange feeling in my stomach, and when I started to respond, I could feel my throat start to enclose. "Y-you're leaving then? I see..."

"Sapphire...I don't intend to hurt you when I say this but-"

"No, I understand," I said as I felt some tears fall down my face. I wanted to look away so he wouldn't see them but it was already too late, so I did my best to keep eye contact with him."We've been through so much with each other. I understand that you need some time alone. I do as well to sort out my own thoughts. And after all of what just happened, I need to stay here more than ever. Hoenn needs me to stay here...and so I will stay."

"You're not mad at me?"

"No," I said as I shook my head before wiping away my tears. I then turned around and stared at the ground for a few moments. I wanted to turn around and hug him so badly, but I forced myself not to.

"Sapphire?"

I looked back at him and forced a smile. "Let's head back, Steven."

-------------------------------------

Blaise's Team as of Chapter 16 (in rotation):

Dragonair(male), Level 50, Ability-Shed Skin, Nature-Calm, Moves: Dragon Tail, Aqua Tail, Thunder Wave, and Safeguard

Magcargo(male), Level 47, Ability-Flame Body, Nature-Rash, Moves: Incinerate, Yawn, Rock Slide, and Stealth Rock

Armaldo(male), Level 48, Ability-Battle Armor, Nature-Hardy, Moves: X-Scissor, Stone Edge, Brine, and Protect

Tyranitar(male), Level 56, Ability-Sand Stream, Nature-Careful, Moves: Stone Edge, Crunch, Earthquake, and Protect

Gardevoir(female), Level 32, Ability-Synchronize, Nature-Quiet, Moves: Heal Pulse, Psychic, Teleport, and Draining Kiss

Swellow(male), Level 30, Ability-Guts, Nature-Gentle, Moves: Fly, Aerial Ace, Steel Wing, and Quick Attack

Zorua(female), Level 25, Ability-Illusion, Nature-Naive, Moves: Dark Pulse, Fake Tears, Grass Knot, and Thief