[4]

If you would like to hear what "Por una Cabeza" (Carlos Gardel) sounds like, you may listen via video link :)

***

You groaned in exhaustion as you finally entered your favorite class: Orchestra.

There were around 22 people in Orchestra including you- and you all were the only ones who actually signed up for it. There's only one class of Orchestra since there were so few strings player in this whole school.

Quite disappointing.

You sat in your usual seat- 1st Violin section, first chair. It was expected when the teacher assessed me to determine what seat and section you would be and bam, she immediately put you in with the 1st Violins, first chair. You're pretty used to being the principal violin.

On que, the late bell rang as you opened my [color] violin case and saw a newcomer walk in at the same time the bell rang.

You squinted my eyes as you saw the familiar piercing blue eyes of Dipper Gleeful.

Why was he here? Dipper wasn't in class during the first day of school.

After getting scolded by the teacher and stuff, he went over to the storage room and got out his dark-as-his-soul black violin case and walked over to the 1st Violin section. Gleeful casually shot smirks at the second violins and he suddenly landed his eyes on me.

"Welcome, class. I'm sure everyone knows their orchestra seat assignments, correct?" the orchestra teacher asked, interrupting his gaze.

A chorus of yes's and nods answered her.

"Great, well get to it! Unpack your instrument and we'll start class. Dipper, you know the routine." The teacher motioned us to get working and we did.

"How did you get first chair, huh?" You heard him say. You looked to your right and saw a brown haired boy with piercing blue eyes- casually sitting down next to you and unclasping the clips on his case.

He was wearing a formal suit- too formal for school. A blue gem at the collar of his dress shirt matched his dress vest. Black dress shoes accompanied his black dress pants.

The brunette rolled his eyes. "Are you even going to answer me?"

You sighed. A competitive violinist, isn't he? "Perhaps I'm better than you."

"Huh, as if."

"I don't see you in first chair," you said, taking your bow and rosined it.

"I was in first chair before you took it away from me!" He hissed at you.

You took out your classic brownish/reddish violin and placed your shoulder rest on.

(If you usually don't wear a shoulder rest, imagine it didn't happen.)

"Look, can you just chill out please?" You asked him, exasperated. "I'm sorry if I took your precious seat, second chair."

"Ha, you want to compete?" He said, smirking at you, standing up and placing his violin on his shoulder.

"Why wouldn't I?" You stood up, doing the same. "Mister Gleeful."

"Miss [Last Name]."

Then again, how did he knew your full name? You ignored the thought and pushed it back in your mind.

A crowd formed around us, listening in to our conversation.

"So, [Name]," Dipper drawled. "Care to take on a certain tango song?"

"Which is?"

"Por una Cabeza," he smirked.

"My favorite," you replied, quite familiar with the tune since you played it once at a party.

You placed your bow on the correct string while he did the same.

"Ready?" You said.

"Of course I am," he replied simply.

You started drawing out the first 4 notes of the song then sped up the tempo, you shifted up to third and fourth position a couple times- even when it's not needed- to show off.

Dipper noticed that and decided to play the harmony while you played the melody. You were quite impressed since it's hard to find a note that matches the melody by just merely your head without testing it out.

You suddenly turned to the minor part of the song, shifting up to fourth on the E string. Your favorite trick of this particular tango song is to let the audience hear the shifting of your fingers, just a simple swipe and you shifted up higher. Having a fast vibrato, you quickly moved your fingers while Dipper matched yours.

You heard the orchestra teacher come in, hearing the commotion and from the corner of your eye, you saw her gasp. She probably has not witness such magnificent power before her eyes.

Pleased with the reaction, you switched again to the major part of the song.

Finally, ending with a whole note with vibrato, you smirked at him. "Not bad, Gleeful."

"Why thank you, Miss [Last Name]. You're surprisingly not bad yourself."