[7]

If you would like to hear what "The Last Rose of Summer" (Heinrich Wilhelm Ernst) sounds like, you may listen via video link :)

***

Sitting next to your friends in the audience, you looked upon the stage where the gray-masked boy stood. He had a smirk on his face as he bowed.

"He seems a little too confident..." you whispered to Allison. "I feel like he's up to something- but he seems very nice."

"That's true," Allison said thoughtfully. 

"Shh!" Pacifica shushed you both. "He's about to start!"

"I will be playing Ernst, The Last Rose of Summer, but I don't need the sheet music," he announced. 

You held back a gasp. "The Last Rose of Summer" is also one of the hardest violin solos ever heard. Unlike Caprice 24, it's more of an enchanting song. Just from the name, it could be a song for someone pining for their long lost love. And from memorization? Curious and curiouser. 

The judges nodded and wrote down the name. "You may begin playing," Stanley Gleeful said.

Gray-Mask lifted his violin to his shoulder and placed his bow on his violin. He began by playing double stops, some with slurs, some with none. He continued on with slurs with shifts on the E string. Trills could be heard clearly with his forte and crescendo. Gray-Mask's bow use in the slurred string crossing was crystal clear. There were no errors- not surprisingly based since the boy was incredibly good at his instrument.

He finally ended the around ten minute song with his bow lifted in the air on his last note. You noticed he glanced at you for a second before bowing. 

The audience seemed like they were taken aback but immediately started clapping loudly for the black-haired boy.

"And that will be the end of the first round," Mr. Stanley Gleeful said as he stood up. "Results will be posted outside on the bulletin board in around ten minutes. The competition will continue with the second round two days from now: Saturday."

"Let's go back to the lobby then," you suggested, slinging your violin case over your shoulder. "I wonder if both the black-haired guy and I pass the first round."

***

Readjusting your mask, the judges finally posted the results of the first round. You scanned through the documents and found out you've gotten in- along with of course the gray-masked boy. 

Allison, Pacifica, and Gideon were currently grabbing all the tea cakes and cookies for themselves to bring home. Silly, aren't they?

Of course, the names aren't your actually names. When you signed up for the competition, the judges need a nickname for you. The names will be hidden until you're disqualified, the winner of the competition is sadly not revealed, concealing their identity.

The nicknames and their person will be revealed when they're announced for the second, creating anticipation.

1st Round Results:

1. Alicia

2. Mason

3. Sebastian

4. Lauren (you)

5. Rebecca

"I'm guessing from your facial expression, you got in?" You immediately recognized the voice. Gray-Mask.

"Well, of course." You smiled at him. "And I assume you got in, also?"

"Likewise. It's sad that I cannot know your real name and identity since you're quite gorgeous," he checked his phone before continuing. "Alas, I must leave. Goodbye, Miss." Gray-Mask turned and walked away from you without hearing a response. You slightly blushed at his earlier compliment.

"Ooh! Romance~!" she shrieked. "Tell me the details- I couldn't hear your conversation with the black-haired hottie!"

"Leave her alone, Pacifica!" Gideon said. "She's had a big night. Which is also a school night, so we should go home and rest." He offered you a cupcake. "Want one?"

You nodded, grinning a bit. Feeling a bit giddy, you headed home, saying goodbye to your friends.

***

At school, whispers filled the hallways and you felt like spiders were crawling up your back. You knew that they were talking about you, but what?

"Hey [Name]! Slept well?" Allison cheerfully said.

"Yeah... but what's everyone talking about?" You asked her.

"Oh, just how you're in the masked competition and all, that's it."

"What?!"

"I posted you playing at the competition and tagged you on Instagram. Did you not notice?"

"Of course not, I barely check Instagram since I get a huge amount of dm's and notifications. Basically the definition of 'annoying.'" You crossed your arms. "The competition is a competition  where your identity is supposed to be hidden. Allison, you better delete that! How long has it been out?"

"Well, when your performance started of course. So probably around... 11 hours?"

"Exposed for eleven hours..." You felt like fainting. "Who follows you on Instagram?"

"The whole school, but it was late at night," Allison replied. "Don't worry [Name], I'll delete it."

"I hope so."

That would mean that almost your whole entire orchestra class would know, other students not involved in musical arts would probably not care but things could change.

Maybe one of them could be Gray-Mask and he would know your identity.

Multiple things could happen: People would start planning your downfall, your failure in the competition. The only reason why you signed up for it was the prize money. $100,000, offered by the Gleefuls. Surprisingly, your mom and you were on the poor side. Ever since your father died, his, at least, $500,000 debt laid heavy on your shoulders. Half of it was paid off since you offered to use your saved college money. 

Perhaps there could be someone to help you remove the evidence of your identity- or even help you win the competition.