[6]

If you would like to hear what "Caprice for Solo Violin, Op. 1 No. 24" (Niccolò Paganini)  sounds like, you may listen via video link :)

***

After picking up Pacifica and Gideon at the Mystery Shack, you all headed towards the town hall, a place once filled with democracy now has the nervousness and hesitation of a competition. 

You held your violin case anxiously. 

This was no normal violin competition.

This competition- hosted by the Gleefuls'- is where you would perform (by sight-reading) a piece chosen at random. The only thing that might be different from related contests is that the performers wear masks to hide their identities. There is a complete set of 3 rounds, starting with 10, 5, then 2 contestants for the final round.

You have accepted the invitation and signed up for registration for this competition months ago, and you've been so distracted that you forgot about it and never seemed to remember to practice. 

As you entered the main lobby, you noticed that there were multiple people pointing and murmuring to others about your presence. You ignored them and continued walking, forcing your feet forward one step at a time.

"Hey, [Name]? It seems like they're talking nasty about you..." Pacifica whispered in your ear. "Is that normal?"

"Not exactly," You grumbled. "Ever since I lost the last 'masquerade' violin solo competition, I've been insulted on social media almost every day. It tuned down a bit, but I still get rude comments thrown at me every now and then. I'm surprised they recognize me. AT least it's against the rules to release the names of the contestants."

"Well, at least who did you lose to?" Allison asked you curiously. Gideon nodded in agreement.

"Someone who had a solid dark gray mask and black hair," I replied. "He won probably because of how he puts so much feeling into his music- anguish, sorrow, anger, sadness, happiness, the works." You sighed. "And I couldn't beat his precise playing either. It was a bad time to compete since my dad died at that time..."

"Ah, I'm sorry," Pacifica said then paused and pointed. "Isn't that him?" She gasped.

You lifted your head up and looked at the entrance of the lobby. A boy with black-as-night hair wearing a gray mask and a suit with a tail.

It's him.

"Yes," you said grudgingly.

Silence flowed through the hall as the masked boy walked through the crowds. Bystanders stood back as if the aura the boy held was powerful. He was known as the boy who had beat you, the famous worldwide prodigy.

You gripped the case, digging your nails into your hand. You mustn't lose this time. Humiliation is just a distraction, all you need is the confidence.

"Come on." You gestured to your friends to follow you to the warm-up rooms in the hallway. "I need to unpack my violin."

***

I plucked some Paganini in nervousness. You're the 9th contestant in Round One. Your "enemy," gray mask boy was last. Was his placement designed to overthrow your performance? You gripped your violin, anxiously waiting each second till you go on stage.

Time passed and the 8th contestant, someone named "Toby" finally finished (clearly he forgot that your name is supposed to be announced later) and the announcer called your name from the mic in your ear:

"[Name] [Last Name], you're up!"

You entered the stage from the red curtains and saw your friends in the audience and smiled. At least there would be someone there to cheer for you. Your mom was unable to attend since she had to work late in the hospital.