Chapter Three: Yearning

AUTHOR'S POV 

The cries of the abandoned baby are getting louder by the second and with each one Laurent discovers that his emotions are at an overflow as he looks down at him. Now his face is turning slightly red and Laurent can feel his fragile body trembling. The situation is dire so he needs to get him to the hospital immediately. He walks at a quickened pace to make sure he's able to be seen and when he sees cars coming his way he makes sure he has a firm hold on the baby so he can use his free arm to wave as he pleads, "somebody please help me"! Suddenly a driver sees Laurent's arm waving while also seeing the panic stricken look on Laurent's face and promptly pulls over. He puts the gear in park but leaves the engine running as he jumps out and runs around the car to see what's going on...

Driver: "What happened sir"? 

Laurent: "Someone put him in the alley and he's really sick. Please, take me to central hospital". 

Driver: "Yeah no problem". 

The driver holds the door to the backseat open and Laurent climbs in. He gently places the sweet baby boy on the cushioned seat, fastens his seat belt then attempts to scan him a little more before the car starts moving. Already he can tell that the baby is severely dehydrated and he's terribly afraid at what else is wrong...but once he's in the hands of an emergency room pediatrician he'll have some tests. Now the driver is behind the wheel so Laurent gently scoops the baby up in his arms then begins to rock him gently. That once distressed, continuous cry is now coming in small intervals which means that he's calming down. This is because of Laurent rocking him to soothe him only he's still trembling. Laurent whispers, "It's oki bebe. We'll be there soon and you be all better". He then brings his head up to look at the driver...

Laurent: "Thank you so much for stopping". 

Driver: "No problem at all. We'll be at the hospital soon". 

Laurent nods then puts his focus back on this sweet, tiny baby until they arrive...

*****

The driver pulls up in front of the emergency room and once again puts the car in park but leaves the engine running so he can get out and open the door...

Laurent: "Thank you so much again". 

Driver: "You're very welcome and I know he'll be just fine. Take care". 

Laurent replies, "you too" then walks quickly through the automatic doors and heads straight for the neonatal intensive care unit which isn't too far away. He sees the sign above the double doors ahead of him and if possible he walks faster. He pushes the door open with his shoulder and the instant he walks in he calls out,"I need a doctor please"! This is also the hospital where Laurent works and although he doesn't work in this particular department he's good friends with a doctor who does and is only a few inches away at the nurses station when he hears Laurent's voice so he quickly comes over to see what's going on...

Laurent: "Travis, please help him". 

Travis: "Of course buddy. What happened to him"?

Laurent gently hands the baby over and as they walk to a room Laurent explains...

Laurent: "I went for my run this morning and something told me to go down this alley. I heard the crying right away and when I got closer I saw him there on the ground".  

Travis: "Oh my God. Well we'll get some fluids administered right away and run some tests. I'll let you know the results as soon as I can". 

Laurent: "That would be great. Thank you".