Chapter Twenty-Two: Peace Offering

AUTHOR'S POV 

~day before family visit~

Since Christian came back and with having Mia the Bourgeois home has been in nothing short of jubilation. As one can imagine it's been quite a task taking care of two infants who are only months apart with things such as double diaper duty and feedings as well as 3 am feedings for both. It's made for some tiring mornings...but neither of them will have it any other way. They still have to pinch themselves at times to make sure they aren't dreaming every time they see Christian and Mia. In fact, just the day before they were having family time in the living room and Laurent became choked up at the sight of seeing them together. They've even caught Mia gazing at Christian as if she's trying to figure out who this other little person is but somehow knowing he's close to her so her gaze stays on him for several minutes at a time. Speaking of Christian, he's in the middle of another milestone...learning to crawl and when they discovered this it nearly took their breath away. He was on his activity mat when he decided to just be a big boy and turn over on his stomach. Larry and Laurent looked at each other in surprise and gasped and since Larry was closest to him he took him off the mat to place him on his belly. They giggled as they saw him in a superman pose with his little arms and legs flailing then trying to push himself off his arms. They were practically moved to tears and they're so grateful that they got him back in time to witness it. Since Jenna told them he eats solid foods now and being the health nuts they are, mainly Laurent, they make homemade baby food using only fresh, local fruits and vegetables. They keep in mind what she said about him not liking carrots too much but was correct in saying he loves applesauce. Whenever he gets that first scoopful his body wiggles in excitement because he knows that taste and it's such an adorable sight to see his little jaws fall open to eat. Mia is just as adorable too. Although she's still fairly new to the world she's beginning to coo as if she's trying to speak. She's already so comfortable with them that when she cries all it takes is one of them softly grabbing her little hand and the moment she feels that she looks up at them and the crying fades away.  Larry and Laurent don't know how they can explain this feeling if they're asked. Or perhaps it can all be summed up in one word...but even that one word can mean so much and say more than sentences ever could. They haven't thought much about what tomorrow holds when they see everyone for the first time in months. Whichever way it goes will be the way it goes. There will be nothing they can do if they're rejected and as far as they're concerned it will be no fault of their own if they still choose to miss out even after seeing these sweet faces. They will still have Christian and Mia and their love will still be their love no matter who approves of it or not. Today they're in the lobby of a very familiar place. Mia is comfortably cradled in Laurent's arms since she got a little fussy in her car seat and Christian is on Larry's lap just as joyful as can be. The receptionist hears him and she can't help but look up and smile at such a delight then goes back to her work. They've only been waiting for about five minutes and now they see a familiar face coming towards them...

Ledoux: *smile* "Dr. and Mr. Bourgeois. Good to see you both again". 

Larry: *smile* "You too". 

Laurent greets her as well and she invites them back to her office. She isn't sure why they decided to pay her a visit but she's delighted to see them. It's been months since she's known them and to see them with two babies now knowing what they've gone through just does her heart good. Now inside her office she politely instructs them to have a seat and after she sits down her eyes immediately begin darting between Christian and Mia. Then she looks at Larry and Laurent...

Ledoux: *smile* "You're a beautiful family". 

Laurent: *smile* "Thank you so much. We're still so surprised it all happened".