Chapter Five: The Process

AUTHOR'S POV

The dinner being prepared by Larry is at a gentle simmer on the stove and it's one of the few things throughout the entire home that can be heard. Just outside of the kitchen stands Larry and Laurent still in each other's embrace after Laurent informed him that he's ready to move forward to try and bring little man home. Even as he stands there holding Larry as tightly as he probably ever has he's wondering exactly what made him forget that this could possibly be a battle adopting him and just decide to go for it. He doesn't have to wonder too much longer as it's the undeniable bond he has with him that's developed in just a matter of days and when he heard that people have been inquiring about him that leap on the inside of him was simply the realization that there's no way he can let him go. At least not without a good fight. Even though the odds are against them they have to try. What if this could be he and Larry's only opportunity to have the child they've always wanted? And perhaps the bond between him and little man will give them the extra push they need to take him so he can be where he belongs. Surely it has to be and as Laurent thinks more about it he holds on tighter to Larry who's sniffs are now coming once every few seconds. This has been such an emotional time for them. Between recalling being disowned by their family to being undecided and on the verge of tormenting themselves about whether or not kids are even a part of their future it's been a non stop wave of emotions. Then lo and behold this precious baby comes into their lives and the thought of losing him now completely puts everything into perspective so Laurent's tears are indeed the aforementioned things...but they're also happy tears so he smiles a little bit as they stay connected. Eventually Larry slowly pulls away and looks into Laurent's eyes because although extremely happy it's no secret that Laurent has shown extreme trepidation so taking Laurent's face delicately into his hands...

Larry: "What happened baby? What happened between last night and now"? 

Laurent: "Something Travis told me". 

A sniff comes as two tears falls and with his face still in Larry's hands Larry takes his thumbs to wipe them away as he asks softly...

Larry: "What did he say"?

Laurent: "He said that people are asking about him bebe so they're ready to place him with a family. It scared me because I don't want to lose him". *pause* "This is supposed to be his home. He belongs with us". 

Larry flashes a small smile as he gazes back at him and in that same soft voice...

Larry: "He does belong with us and that's why we have to believe we will have the chance to raise him". *pause* "Do you believe that baby"? 

Laurent: *nods* "I do bebe and that's why I decided to go to child protection services tomorrow and talk to someone". 

Larry: *smile* "I love you", he whispers. 

Laurent: *smile and sniff* "I love you too". 

Larry: *smile and wink* "Come on. Let's have dinner". 

Laurent agrees so Larry takes his hand and guides him to their dinner table then sweetly instructs him to sit down. Larry fills a bowl with Caesar salad and puts just the right amount of dressing on it then piles his plate up with some pappardelle and two ladles of his famous meat sauce as well as a couple of made from scratch bread sticks then serves his love. He goes to make his drink as well but this particular night doesn't call for a glass of tea. Instead he pulls out a bottle of red wine which is also just happens to be the perfect match with an authentic Italian dinner...but he also feels this is a celebratory moment. Laurent decides to wait for Larry to come back with his plate before eating and now at the table they say a prayer then start to dig in. Only a minute or so later...