Prologue

In downtown Atlanta, a figure walks down the ally. 

Clothed in black jeans, a leather jacket, and a dark Twenty-one Pilots t-shirt, he almost blends in with the shadows in the ally. His curly brown hair falls in his eyes, but he pushes it away, determined to get what he came for. 

A stray cat hisses and runs away at the sight of him, but the boy keeps walking. No distractions, Goodwin had said. And he intended to follow orders. 

A group of kids no older than him stare as he approaches. They take note of the shadows that seem to be bending towards him, reaching out. With the boy's pale skin, he almost could pass as a ghost. The boy doesn't seem aware of the darkness surrounding him, though, and walks past the group without so much as a glance. 

He finally reaches his destination, and stands in front of the abandoned building. 

This is the place. 

He looks at his hand, which is glowing with a dark aura. He'd thought for some time in this, and decided the best way to destroy your enemy is to destroy their legacy. That means to show them their past and use it to terminate their future. Without the past, no one would be where they are and who they are today. 

He was going to destroy a lot of legacies.

He presses the comlink on his wrist and says into the speaker, "I've located it, sir. What are your orders?" 

"I'm sending someone to bring you back here. I need you with me when we unleash our attack on Jamie Cooper and her band of rebels. Then you will have your chance and face them to prove yourself. Do you think you're ready for that?" 

"Oh, I'm ready, sir." He cuts off the transmission and looks at the building once more. 

"Don't worry, Goodwin. They will fall."