Road Trip

I would've preferred it if the rooster alarm woke me up at nine o'clock instead of nearly seven. 

It doesn't help that as soon as the rooster stops crowing, Falcon's voice says loudly over the intercom, "It's 6:45, Elementals. Time to be up and ready to leave. Your transportation arrives in fifteen minutes."

I groan. "Why do we have to leave this early?" 

But Falcon's already gone. 

I mumble a few choice words and look over to Lenae's bed. She's still sleeping. I pick up my pillow and throw it at her, and it hits the side of her face. 

She jolts awake, and looks around sleepily. "What? What is it? Did I oversleep?" 

I snort. "No, though I wish we did. We have to get up now." 

She rubs the side of her face. Her brown hair is matted to one side of it. "I figured." 

We make our beds as neat as we can, then take turns using the bathroom. I throw on the outfit I'd picked out yesterday - ripped jeggings, an oversize pale blue hoodie advertising The Nutcracker Ballet, and my usual worn-out black Converse - brush my straight brown hair and style it into French braids, and put on my everyday makeup, which is just foundation, mascara, and eyeliner on my upper lid and in the corners. I like to think of it as a more natural look. 

Plus I only have ten minutes left till we leave, so I had to limit how many products I put on. 

I put my makeup bag in a toiletries bag that has my hair brush, toothbrush, and shampoo in it, then add it into my duffel bag. Once I check to make sure Lenae's almost ready, I take my duffel bag into the dining room. 

I see everyone else is already there with their bags at their chairs, eating a quick breakfast. 

After I set down my duffel bag next to my seat, I grab a paper plate and fill it with eggs, sausage, and a blueberry waffle. I drizzle it with syrup, pour myself some orange juice in a plastic cup, then take my breakfast to my seat. 

Everyone looks about as awake as Sleeping Beauty. 

In my seat next to Jake, I can see Jake's black hair is kind of - okay, very - messy. He either didn't brush it, or he did and just didn't care if he did a good job or not. I smile, though, because I don't really mind it at all. It's cute. 

"Morning, guys," I say to my team. 

"Morning," they mumble back. 

"I'm so tired, I don't even have the energy to make any breakfast jokes," Alex stabs his eggs. 

Myria and Raina immediately perk up, look at each other, then slap the other's hands. "Yes! For once a breakfast without jokes!" 

"I can't even remember the last time we had a decent, civilized breakfast conversation," Peter agrees. 

"But, if you want, I can muster the energy and at least make an egg joke," Alex says casually, sipping his orange juice. 

"No!" they all shriek. "We're good!" 

I smother my grin with a bite of waffle. 

A moment later, Rosalynn comes and ruffles her son's hair. "Is the food good?" 

Jake moves to the side and smooths down his hair. "Yes, Mom. It's always good." 

Rosalynn smiles sadly. "Good. I'll miss cooking for you guys while you're gone.......I don't know what I'm going to do with myself. But I guess it all works out, because even though I won't be cooking, you'll still be enjoying some good hotel food." She says it in a humorous tone, but I still catch the sadness behind it.