The Truth Uncovered

When I search for Gray later, I find him alone and snacking. 

He's sitting on a metal stool at a little bar area connecting a small dining room to a small kitchen. Lenae told me earlier that there is, in fact, a great dining room like the one at the old ranch at this facility, and that's where we'll have most of our meals. I didn't even know this room existed until now, but I can see the appeal from Gray's perspective; it's small, private, and still full of food, based on the whole package of Chips Ahoy! cookies he's devouring.  

I decide to come here often if I want to get away. 

I pull out a stool next to his and sit down beside him. He raises an eyebrow at me but says nothing, his mouth too full to speak. 

I go ahead and start. "I know you're trying to be away from all of us right now, which I completely understand, but this won't take too long." I look into his eyes. "I just wanted to say thank you. For everything. If it weren't for you, we wouldn't have escaped, my friend would no longer exist, and the whole world might suddenly wake up and find themselves with supernatural powers." 

He side smiles a bit as he swallows, then says, "That was fun to picture. And don't mention it. It was the least I could do." 

I roll my eyes. "You could take modesty lessons off of Alex. I can hear the 'yeah, that was pretty awesome of me' in the tone of your voice." 

He grins. "Don't forget, the only reason I could take those lessons is because I saved him."

I punch his arm. "You saved everyone, you dweeb. So yeah, you deserve some credit, but not that much credit, for your snarkiness." 

"I don't understand girls. One minute, you're all 'give yourself some credit, you deserve it,' then the next you're getting onto me about accepting too much." 

"But hey, how boring would the world be if we and our rapidly changing and shifting minds did not exist?" 

"I'd call it a relief." 

"Whatever," I say sarcastically, but smiling. "We'll finish this debate at dinner. I'm sure the others would love to pitch in their opinions." 

"If I know us all correctly," Jake's voice says from behind us, and we turn around to see him walking over. "You may have a very hard time proving your point." 

"Who will have a hard time?" Gray asks.

"Both of you," Jake replies, and I laugh because I know it's true. We have some passionate arguers. 

Jake sits in the stool next to mine and leans forward so he can see Gray. "Hey." 

"Hey," Gray replies. 

Jake continues, "I know Jamie probably already said this, along with all the others in our team, but thanks for what you did back there. We can't ever repay you." 

 Gray's serious expression now shows a faint sly smile at that last sentence. "Well, to repay me.......you could officially make me an Elemental." 

Jake and I smile and together, unplanned, reply, "You already are one." Then grin at each other like, Yes, goals, couple telepathy

Gray rolls his eyes. "You two are gross. I'm going to go in my room whenever I hear you coming." 

"Well, you and I will be sharing a room, so I still don't think you'll be getting much of a break," Jake side smiles. 

"I'll just become a shadow in a random corner if someone tries to get me to do something foolish like ride a horse or milk a cow or be a third wheel or something. Just don't tell Falcon that."