Epilogue

"So, the generators are destroyed, their plans are gone, the Elementals escaped, and Shadow is underground once more," Dylan Goodwin recaps, his voice cold. 

The voice on the other end of the phone pauses, no doubt wincing at his anger. "Yes, sir." 

Goodwin slowly exhales, trying to remain calm. Lillian would become worried if she heard him having another fit of rage in his office, no doubt telling him to take a break from work for once. But he couldn't take a break. Not for a while. 

"Why is it that every endeavor I have is always undermined by a group of seventeen-year-olds? And now a fourteen-year-old!" 

The voice on the other end is silent. 

"This is not a rhetorical question, Hawkins." 

"W-well, sir, I suppose it's because they care." 

"Care about what, Hawkins? Do you always have to be so cryptic with everything?" 

Hawkins decides not to answer that last question. "About each other. They're always looking out for them, risking their own lives to save each other's. They fight to the death to help each other. At least, that's what I've noticed, sir." 

Goodwin leans back in his desk chair, considering this. "You're very observant, Hawkins." 

Hawkins doesn't know if this is sarcasm or not. "Er, thank you, sir." 

"Unfortunately for you, I've already noticed this. Their compassion. It has been very apparent from the beginning. But, fortunately for you, we can use this to our advantage." 

"How, sir? What do you have in mind?" 

"Is the Ka ho'omana Base cleared for full-time operation?" 

"Yes, sir. It was cleared this morning when the news was given to the board."

"Good. Right on schedule." 

"What do you have planned, sir?" 

"I do not wish to express my aspirations quite yet, Hawkins. But in time, you will see." 

Goodwin ends the call, a smile playing across his lips. "In time, the whole world will see."