Goodbye

It's only twenty minutes later, and we're back in the van again. 

April hugs me after I hand my duffel bag to Obsidian, who throws it into the back. 

"I'm going to miss you more than you know," she says, squeezing me tight. 

"I'll miss you, too," I say sincerely, not wanting to let go. "You've helped me so much already. I can't thank you enough." 

 April pulls back and looks into my eyes. "You can thank me by coming back to me safely." 

I nod. "I'll do my best." 

We both know it is something I can never promise.

"Can you visit me one more time when you stop these bad people?" she asks, wringing her hands. "Or at least give me a sign that you're okay?" 

"I will. You'll know it when you see it. And don't worry, we'll come back safely." 

Even I don't believe me. 

April bites her lip, then nods. "I know. You'll be careful." 

A moment of silence follows.

"You know what, I'm glad," April says suddenly. 

"Glad about what?" 

She gestures to the others standing around talking. Alex makes a joke and Peter shoves him away. But everyone's laughing. "This. You found a new family. A good family. One who finally cares about you." 

"I know," I say, watching them. "I still can't believe it. Sometimes I have to pinch myself." 

She grins at me. "You'll always be my little, naive Jamie Cooper." 

"What's that supposed to mean?" 

"Open your eyes. You're an amazing, compassionate person. You deserve people like them. And they deserve you." 

"I-I know," I say, and deep down, I really do. "It's still just kind of hard to believe." 

"Jamie." April takes a breath, then says slowly, "Just.......listen for a moment. Don't EVER let your past dictate who you are today. Ever. Because all that can change in an instant and won't matter anymore. These people know all you've been through. But they don't care. That's the one thing you'll have to get over, and it's going to be the toughest thing to put away." 

"I understand. You're right. I know you are. It's just difficult to get over, I guess." 

She smiles. "That's why you have new family in your life who can help you. That's what family is supposed to be like." 

I look out towards the others. They're laughing really loud at something. Even Obsidian is smiling. "Family," I say, rolling the word over my tongue. "I never knew what that meant until I met them." 

 April smiles, but it quickly fades as she looks into my face. "Jamie. Please stay safe, okay? Just stop those guys, get out of there, and go back to Crystal. She needs you a lot more than you know." 

"I will," I tell her, careful not to promise anything. "I will do my absolute best." 

"I know you will." She hugs me one last time. "Now, you'd better get moving. I don't want to hold you back any longer." 

As I draw back, I say one last time softly, "Thank you for everything you've done for me." 

In case I never make it back to tell her that myself. In case we fail our mission. And just in case Goodwin succeeds in creating more of us. 

April touches my cheek affectionately. "You've already thanked me by continuously coming to see me, no matter the circumstances." 

When I last see April, she's standing in front of the shop, her arms crossed and her dark hair blowing in the chilly wind. She gets smaller and smaller as we drive away. 

Then she's gone. 

Jake takes my hand. "You'll see her again." 

I lean my head on his shoulder. "I know." Even though I don't. That's never guaranteed with us. 

I watch the buildings roll by my window. "I know."