The Opportunities We Have

My fingers claw desperately for some kind of hand-hold. They catch the side where Gray had been hanging from and miraculously, I don't fall onto the road and become street pizza. 

But I am dangling from the side of the moving van. The Elementals near the window are probably getting a very flattering view of my legs. 

I am hanging on for dear life. 

Gray stands above me on the roof. "How the tables have turned." 

I do my best to look dignified as I shout back up at him, "You bet they've turned! Come down here and we can have a real fight! Or help me up!" I hope my voice doesn't sound as desperate as it does in my head. 

Gray just looks at me. "Why would I help you up?" 

"Because I offered to help you up. It's your own fault you refused." 

I'm pretty proud of my logic. I think Lenae would be, too. 

Gray thinks for a moment. "Goodwin did want you alive. And mostly intact. I don't think a fall would work there." 

I hold my breath. Will he decide to help me? Will he follow his conscience and not his orders? After all I've done for him, all the times I've offered to help, it's only fair. But will he see that? 

I just look up at him, I'm sure pain now obvious in my face. My arms feel like they're going to give out at any moment. My legs hang dangerously close to the tires. 

"But then again, you'd no longer be a problem to us," Gray says finally. "That would be a plus." 

He steps on my fingers and my grip loosens, making me fall towards the street. 

Shooting pain flares up my leg as I try to land on it and fail. It gives out and I fall on my side and roll down the street, away from the van. I finally come to a stop, my ears ringing, and look up. My friends are leaving without me. And I'm in the middle of a busy street. 

I force myself to jump up and run after them. 

"Jamie!" Lenae screams, the other Elementals all crowded by the open back door. "Come on!" 

"I'm trying!" I shout back, already out of breath. 

Cars swerve around me. Some honk their horns, and some drivers just stare as they drive past. This might be one of the most reckless things I've ever done in my life, and that's saying something. 

I look ahead of the van. I spot a yellow sign that says ROAD CLOSED and a bunch of orange cones blocking it. We're headed straight for that road. Jake is going to have to take the detour to the right. I don't know if I can reach them in time to take that detour with them. 

"Come on! Hurry!" My friends offer some helpful advice. 

I'm sorry, but this van is moving at about thirty miles per hour, and it's all I can do just to keep it in sight. So you can't tell me to run any faster than my already-tired legs can go. 

Cars still whip past me. Every new roar of the engine I hear feels too close for comfort. The people of Atlanta are crazy drivers. 

That's when I get the stupidest idea I've had today. And that's also saying something.

I watch a cherry red pickup truck barrel towards my direction in the next lane to my left. It's going about forty miles per hour in a thirty mph speed limit, which will either give him the opportunity to get pulled over, or to help me reach my friends. 

It's coming closer. I have to time this just right, or I could very well die of a thousand dislocated bones. That would not be pleasant. 

When the truck is just ten feet behind me, I jump.