We Camp Out in a Bakery

"So.......let me get this straight," April says, rubbing her temples. "You kids have.......powers?" 

I nod. "We've had them since we were really little. Like, babies." 

She shakes her head. "That information wasn't in your Child Services file." 

I smile. "I didn't think it would be. No one else knows. You're one of the only people who know except for the people who kept us safe at the ranch." 

"This is crazy." 

"I know," Lenae says gently. "It's a lot to take in." 

April looks at her. "You have powers too." It wasn't so much a question as a statement. 

Lenae smiles. "Yeah. Mind powers." 

"So, you can read my mind?" 

"Oh yeah. Right now you're thinking how crazy this is and if you should check to make sure the oven is off." 

"You could have guessed that without reading my mind." 

"And," Lenae continues without wavering, "you're also thinking about how much your husband Rob would have loved to hear all this since he was really into science fiction and mystery." 

April looks stunned into silence. 

"Wait," I say, looking at the baker, "You never told me you had a husband." 

"I never told you," she whispers, looking at her hands. "He died ten years ago, so I don't like to talk about him." She looks up at Lenae. "So there's no way you could've known unless you really can read minds." 

"My element is electricity." Lenae looks at me. "And it's been getting stronger lately." 

She holds up her hand, and to my surprise, electricity arcs between her fingers. 

"From the conversion?" I ask, remembering how Jake had suddenly gained fire powers. 

"That was my theory." 

"So, you have electricity/mind powers," April clarifies, then looks around the room and faces each teen. "You have fire. You have magnetism. You have ice. You can see through objects. And you have......?" 

"Wind," Raina finishes. "No longer telekinesis. The conversion made sure it changed." 

"And you have-" April stops and looks at Jake. 

"Pretty much everything," Peter grins, nudging him. "Jake's a freaking beast." 

Jake shrugs him off. "I wouldn't say a 'beast-'" 

"He's the most powerful one out of all of us," Alex says. "And the most humble. He doesn't give himself enough credit." 

"Aaaaand he's also my other half," I say, leaning my head on his shoulder.

At first I wonder if I'm embarrassing him, but then he wraps his arms around me. He's not ashamed to be with me. I love that about him. 

April seems to soften up at this display of affection. I mean, I would too, if I was watching us be cute couple goals. 

She looks at Lenae. "How long do you need to stay with me?" 

"Hopefully not long," I tell her. 

"We don't want you to get too involved with us," Jake speaks up. "It will just put you in danger." 

"I want to help," she says, looking at me. "I want to help you guys. If it will help make those Rave people or whoever they are go away, I'll help you guys."