Honor

Chillaxing. I heard the word once, and was amazed at how appropriately fitting it was for my life. I started using it as my new word for relaxing. 

The rest of our day is spent, in fact, chillaxing. We hang out with everyone else, spend time in our rooms reading whatever we can find, practice with our powers, steal some snacks (Alex's idea), and just relax. I'm not bored yet, because I'm trying to enjoy the break from Rave as much as I can before we meet again. 

But what I listed here is basically what I've been doing every day for the past week. 

I'm only semi-bored, if that's a thing. 

Night finally hits, so we say goodnight and head into our separate rooms across from each other. 

Our rooms are all in the same hallway in the ranch house. Each room is occupied and shared by two people. Lenae and I in one, Peter and Jake in another, Myria and Raina, then Alex, who doesn't have a partner so he has the room to himself. I don't know about the others, but I know that my room is decorated with the ranch/lodge vibes going on. The walls and ceilings are the same orange-cedar wood that's throughout the whole ranch. The wall decor, though, could use an upgrade. I don't like waking up to have a fox portrait glaring at me from across the room. 

Each room also has a modern, clean bathroom, which is nice. Our beds are going with the ranch-themed room as well, made out of wood and have comforters with wild horses printed on them. 

Yeah. I wish I had been the interior designer to decorate this place I instead. 

I can't complain, though. I have a warm bed, hot shower, and nice room shared with one of my best friends. I couldn't ask for any better than that. 

I change into a baggy Marvel t-shirt and short, comfy athletic shorts (my designated pajamas), brush my teeth, wash my face, then climb into my bed. Lenae crawls into her bed across to my right, and when she is settled under the covers, she smiles at me. 

"Goodnight, Jamie." 

"'Night." 

                                     *                *               * 

The next morning, I wake up to a loud crowing coming from outside. 

COCK-A-DOODLE-DOOOO! 

I groan, pulling my pillow over my ears. I hear Lenae moaning in her bed. 

"Shut up, you fat, insanely loud rooster!" I yell into my pillow. "What is it, seven o' clock? Don't I deserve to sleep?" 

It ignores me and keeps crowing. 

"Lenae, can you scramble it or something?" 

"Scramble the mind of a rooster? I don't know. I've never tried." 

She's quiet for a moment, and I know it's because she's concentrating. 

 The rooster stops mid-crow. Then it's silent. 

"Can't believe that worked," she says, sinking back into her mattress. 

"Me neither." I take off the pillow over my ears and lay it back under my head. "Good night, or morning or whatever." 

"Ditto." 

That's the one thing I don't like about the ranch. 

The annoyingly loud rooster alarms. 

I try to fall back asleep, but I can't. I'm wide awake from all the excitement of the crowing and yelling and scrambling. It makes me frustrated, because I still feel tired.