Ch. 30 Idiot

Angela walked through the hospital rolling her cart with one hand and holding a cup of coffee in the other. She stopped in front of Gemma's room and nodded a greeting to the officer in front of it, flashing her hospital badge quickly. If the officer had stopped to really look at the badge, he'd have known she wasn't a doctor and wasn't family; therefore, she wasn't technically allowed in the room. Lucky for her, he hadn't bothered to check, so she slipped in easily. "Hey Gemma," she greeted, closing the door behind her.

"Well if it isn't little Miss Undertaker," Gemma drawled, lowering the volume on her television. "Abusin' that hospital badge again?"

Angela gave her a sneaky grin. "Best part about 'working' here."

Gemma chuckled. "How you doin', sweetheart?"

"Oh, I'm fine," she answered, pulling a magazine out of the waistband of her slacks. "Cosmo?"

Gemma raised an eyebrow at the magazine. It wasn't her usual reading material, but she was bored as hell stuck in the hospital bed so it'd have to do. It was better than some cheesy card or ugly teddy bear. "Sure. Thanks."

Angela took a seat in the chair next to her bed. "How are you?" she asked before taking a long sip of coffee.

"I'm all right. I'll live to see another day," she answered, pushing her bangs out of her eyes.

"That's good to hear."

Gemma nodded slowly, her eyes raking over the undertaker who was dressed in her work clothes and a pair of big black work boots. "Did you know?" she asked, her voice a little rough. At Angela's questioning look, the Queen elaborated. "Did you know about Abel when you came to help?"

"Yeah," Angela answered, nervously playing with the end of her braid. "I didn't know that you didn't know though. If that makes any sense."

"Would you have told me?"

The younger woman sucked in a deep breath and shrugged. "I don't know. Probably not. Especially if Juice or Hap told me not to," she answered truthfully.

Gemma pressed her lips together and nodded, a little surprised by her honest answer. She'd given Angela a perfect opportunity to suck up to her and she hadn't taken it. "Thanks for the honesty."

She shrugged a shoulder. "Why lie? Not like you'd believe me anyway."

"You're catchin' on quick, Undertaker."

Angela smirked. "I try."

There was a quick knock on the door before the officer poked his head in. "Someone needs you, Doctor."

The Queen and the undertaker exchanged amused glances before Angela pushed herself out of the chair with a grunt. She tossed her now empty coffee cup into the trash before nodding to Gemma."See you later, Gemma."

Gemma gave her a dismissive nod back opening up the magazine and flipping to an article about embarrassing stories. "Idiots," she mumbled under her breath.

Angela stepped outside the room to find Chibs there waiting for her. She raised an eyebrow. "What's up, Chibbies?"

"Follow me," he said, taking her arm and heading down the hallway.

Angela had to practically jog to keep up with his fast pace. "What's going on, Chibs?" she asked again, feeling her heartbeat kick up a notch. Something was wrong; she could feel it.

He didn't answer her, just gestured for her to follow. He didn't know how much Juice wanted her to know and he didn't want to freak her out by just saying he got hurt, so he kept quiet. She'd find out soon enough. "In there," he said, pushing her towards a door.