Chapter 48 - Wrath

Surprise update, because some of you asked so nicely :) 

And to those who demand it, I just want to remind you that it's not easy to write two updates a day if you also have a job and a family. Sana po, maintindihan niyo if I'm not able to give two updates a day. But thank you anyway for demanding it, at least I know you like the story :) 

I tried to capture the actual procedure of HR cases and hope that I succeeded in doing so. If not, haha sorry na, this is fiction after all. Some of you want me to draw blood from Clive, read on and see if I fulfilled your wish. I'm all eyes and ears to know what you think of this chapter, very difficult to write because of the research it involved and the kind of scene that I'm reluctant to write. 

Enjoy, my dears :)

Richard took one look at Maine and felt his ears burn.

"What happened here?" 

Eileen exchanged glances with Maine but was too scared to speak. Richard was looking furious already even before they said anything.

"You two. My office. Now."

Both ladies followed him but still refused to speak. He tried to calm himself down, knowing that both were already scared of him.

"Ganito na lang. I'm pretty sure this involves Clive. Where did it happen?"

"Sa pantry po," Eileen quickly replied, despite being elbowed by Maine.

"Thank you Eileen. Sige, balik ka na sa workstation mo, close the door when you leave."

He pressed several numbers and waited for the other end to respond.

"Hello, Dan? Yes, could you please capture the last hour of footage ng cam sa pantry? Send to me immediately.......Yes, now. Thanks. Oh, and make sure Atty. Clive does not leave the building. Thanks again."

He pressed another number again.

"Hi Cams? I want that meeting with Clive within the next hour. Non-negotiable. Please tell Karla. Thanks."

He put the phone down and walked around his table and knelt in front of her. She was crying quietly and it took all of his self-control to keep from walking out of his office to punch the daylights out of Clive.

"Konti na lang......baby.......tahan na."

She leaned forward and wrapped her arms around his neck, her head on his shoulder.

"Natatakot ako. Baka saktan ka niya."

"Don't worry about me, I want him to spend his last day in office today and have him locked up."

"Can you do that? Anong mangyayari?"

"We're serving his notice to explain today. He'll be on suspension while HR formalizes his dismissal, kahit anong paliwanag pa gawin niya, I don't think there's a logical explanation for what he did. We're also filing a court case against him, ok?  I'm filing a complaint against him at the IBP. Papa-disbar ko hayup na yan."

"Baka gumanti siya sayo. Can we just let him leave the company?"

"No. He has to learn a lesson, Maine. If we let him go, He'll just apply with another company and do this again."

His phone vibrated, he let go of her and checked his phone. Dan of Security already sent him a file on Google Drive, a 20-second video of what happened in the pantry earlier. He downloaded the video from his laptop and saved it in a USB, then watched it quietly. He flinched at the part where Maine slapped Clive, hand forming a fist. He closed his eyes and massaged the bridge of his nose with his thumb and index finger, feeling the heat of his anger rise within him. He ejected the USB and put it in his pocket. He tried to control his breathing, not wanting to scare Maine.

"Baby......it's ok. I'm fine, huwag ka na magalit please. I fought back, I slapped him."

She got up to walk over to him, trying to pacify him. He stood and wrapped her in his arms tightly, kissing her hair.

"I'm so sorry, Maine. I'm sorry you have to suffer through this just because you're in a relationship with me. Minsan iniisip ko baka mas tahimik buhay mo if we—"

"NO. Hindi tayo maghihiwalay. I've had it with all this hiding and judgement. I was wrong to hide it. Ayoko na. Why will I leave this company? Bakit kailangan maghiwalay tayo? Sila ang mali eh. Sila ang nanghuhusga ng mali, bakit tayo ang magi-guilty? So stop thinking it's wrong for us to be together. Ok lang ako."

"Pero yun ang sinabi mo last night. If you said that out of anger, it's half-meant."

"I was wrong. Let's just finish this, kaya ko 'to. I'm stronger than you think."

He rubbed her arms comfortingly.

"I need to calm down. Gusto ko siyang saktan. I want to maim him."

"Don't give him an excuse to sue you. Please."

"I don't fucking care if he sues me. Putangina, by the time I'm finished with him, his word is worth shit."

His office landline rang. The time came to face Clive, and Maine was so nervous for Richard. He looked so calm and his hands were not even cold or shaking when he held her clammy ones.

"It's time for me to meet them. I love you, baby. Be brave, ok?"

He bent his head to kiss her mouth and she almost cried at how tender he kissed her. It was amazing how he could bend his anger to show her tenderness, to set it aside just to assure her that they were ok.

"Stay here and lock the door. Don't worry, I already asked security to be on standby. The guards outside will know what to do if Clive tries anything."

By this time, HR and Legal have already met with Clive, serving him notice of Maine's complaint against him. He was requested to submit a counter-affidavit three days later, after which his case would be deliberated on. Due to the nature of the case against him though, he was put on suspension without pay for the duration his case would be deliberated on.

Richard entered the main conference room to find Clive seated on one side, flanked by Karla and Camille. He looked angry and agitated, as though any moment he would get violent. In a way, Richard wanted Clive to draw first blood, to give him an excuse to bash the guy's head.

"Richard, we've already served him the complaint, he will be given three days to respond with a counter-affidavit."

"I don't need to know the details, I just want to hear from you Clive. You're a lawyer, supposedly an upholder of the law. What do you have to say for yourself?"

"I don't want to submit a counter-affidavit. Alam ko rin naman na the die is cast already. I'll just resign."

"Choice mo yan. But you're not getting off the hook so easily. We're still filing a case against you in court. And I'm not stopping till I get you disbarred."

"Why are you so defensive of that......assistant of yours?"

Richard stood up, walked away in an attempt to keep his temper in check. But Clive stood up and followed him. The moment his hand touched Richard's shoulder, Richard turned and hit him straight at the bridge of his nose. He grabbed at Richard's lapels, but Richard shoved him to lie on the table and hit his face several more times, stopping only when his knuckles ached.

He looked at Clive's bloodied face and slapped him.

"Feel free to sue me if you want. I will face you in any court."