Chapter 57 - Fulfillment

Rainy and bed weather folks! But mere mortals like you and me have to work so let's just start the morning with a feel good chapter. I'm doing this in two parts because it got too long and I didn't want to cut it down.  

Maine is finally graduating and Richard can't wait to share his surprise with her. Months of preparation, getting into arguments with her over his time and Sanya, will finally be revealed. Sometimes, our loved ones have the best laid out plans for us but we get impatient and suspicious. It's a normal reaction, what we don't know will usually threaten us, but it's also a test of our trust and confidence in our loved ones, that they will always have our best interests at heart.

Read on and stay dry my friends. It's really an effort to get out of bed and report for work but there's a lot to be thankful for and work is still a part of that.  Take care lovies :)

Maine was waiting impatiently for Richard as she stood in line along with the other graduates. He was late and it was pissing her off because he was never late. She tapped her foot impatiently, craning her neck around to see him. Her mother, Dean and Coleen were already around somewhere.

She wanted Richard to be here, to witness this momentous highlight in her life. After five years in college, she was finally graduating. A new life was waiting for her, and it was a life she would be sharing with him.

She had a surprise for them all, she was graduating with honors. She wanted Richard to see her accept this, because he was so supportive towards the last weeks of her last semester, when she was getting lazy with all the requirements she needed to comply with but was too tired from office work and class work to lift a finger. He helped her with some of her projects, especially her case studies that required tons of research.

Finally, he made an appearance, nonchalantly walking through the throngs of men and women in their graduation robes.

"You're late," She said crossly.

"You'll find out later why," He said, kissing her on the forehead. He was in good spirits, looking like a kid bursting to squeal a secret.

"Why is your face like that?"

"Like what?"

"Like you're hiding something."

"Yes I am. You will know what it is later. Today's the day."

The ceremony was long and tedious, but everyone was in a celebratory mood. It was a beautiful day, the skies were clear and after two long hours, Maine's name was finally called, to receive her diploma and her Cum Laude honors. She couldn't see her family and Richard, but she was sure they heard and documented this moment.

The ceremony was over after an hour. Maine found her family waiting for her chatting with Richard. They all stopped talking upon seeing her, and it made her really suspicious that something was going on.

"Let's go?" Richard said, pulling her gently towards the car.

"Where to?"

"We'll see you there, RJ," Dean said, waving goodbye at Maine.

Richard entered the car and faced Maine, smiling. She hugged him tightly, a bit teary eyed.

"Thanks for everything, RJ. I couldn't have done this without you and your dad's help."

"I will always support you, Maine. Whatever will make you happy."

He gave her a small velvet box, his graduation gift. It was a pair of earrings that matched her engagement ring, emerald cut yellow diamonds set elegantly on gold.

"These are so beautiful, thank you baby."

She took off her earrings and put on the new ones. She pulled him by the nape to kiss him, caressing his cheek after.

"I have one more gift, Maine. This one is something I hope you will like. It took me several months to put this together."

"What is it?"

"You'll see."

They drove towards Katipunan area, then turned towards Esteban Abada. Maine was still clueless about whatever it was he wanted to show her. Was it a new condo unit that Sanya did interiors for?

They entered the parking area of one of the buildings where Richard hurriedly parked and assisted her out of the car. He took out a handkerchief asking her to turn around.

"Ano yan, blindfold pa?"

"Of course, big deal ito Maine. I really hope to surprise you. Wala ka talagang hint at all what it is?"

"Walaaaaa. Pwedeng wala ng blindfold, arte mo naman RJ eh."

"Indulge me, sige na. Surprise nga eh."

She finally agreed to it and got blindfolded. He guided her through the porcelain-tiled floors of the building, going out of it to the frontage. There seemed to be people around because Maine could her people talking.

"Konti na lang.......careful with the steps. Ok, we're here."

He turned her to him and took off the blindfold.

"Before you turn around to look at what's behind you, I just want you to know that I so wish this will make you happy. I know this is one of your dreams, and I'd like to be the one to fulfill this dream for you."

He slowly turned her around to see the signage of Serendipity Café, which was going to be launched today. There was a huge ribbon and a priest on standby, her family and friends waiting outside for her, waving excitedly. She looked for her mother and their eyes met, her mother was crying earnestly.

-To be continued-