Chapter 19 - Away from Prying Eyes

It's the weekend again my friends! This week went by so fast, no? I just love it when I get so busy I lose track of time. It makes slowing down time so much more appreciated. I'm still so behind my writing for AMACon, haha. I hope I finish it na because the deadline is tomorrow.  

Anyway, I have a question. If you will look back to the days when you were younger, what were your plans and how did they pan out? Nasunod ba? Did meeting someone change it? If you will ask me, pareho kami ni Maine ng plano. 

All I wanted was to be a housewife and take care of four to five kids. I didn't plan to work or have a career because I loved kids, even those that aren't mine. But my pendulum swung the full 180 degrees, I worked, got a master's degree, and went up the corporate ladder to General Manager level. It's so different from my plan but I cannot complain, God has been so good. We sometimes pray for simple things but God works his magic on us and gives us so much more. I never knew I had it in me to be driven in a career, but God led me to that path. 

In this chapter, Maine feels that too. Her dreams were simple, but meeting Richard changed her plans to include him, hoping he'd be in her future. And they have to work together to make it happen.  Will they make it happen? 

Enjoy reading my dears :)

Richard parked his Jaguar at the vacant parking space of Serendipity Café, the bakery and coffee shop owned by Maine's mother. The café served as a façade of their compound, behind it was a grill gate that led to their house. He walked into the café and found Maine at one of the tables, reviewing their accounting books. She instinctively looked up and smiled at him, got up from her seat to walk up to him.

She was in a pink top and white shorts, looking so fresh and wonderfully rested. Her cheeks were a bright pink, probably blushing from the way he was looking at her hungrily. He missed her, it had been five days since he'd last seen her, quite a long period of time considering he's used to seeing her everyday. She stops right in front of him and gets hugged.

"Missed you," He said, simply.

"Same," she whispered shyly. "Are you hungry? Buti hindi ka naligaw?"

"No, very clear naman instructions mo. I have something for your mom, nasan siya?"

"She's home. Lika, dalhin na rin natin yung things mo sa room."

She took the accounting journals and stored them in the cabinet below the cash register and gave instructions to the cashier to take charge while she was out.

Her mom was putting the finishing touches on a batch of cupcakes that she baked when they entered the house. She was fairer-skinned than Maine was, same height and slightly fuller-figured than Maine. Wearing a white shirt and jeans, she looked like she was just Maine's older sister.

"Nay, andito na boss ko. Si RJ po...."

"HI RJ......guwapo naman ng batang 'to."

She hugged him as though she knew him well, rubbing his back in a motherly way. Richard remembered his mom and how she used to hug him like this. He hugged her back and smiled at her, taking her hand to raise it to his forehead in a gesture of respect.

"Hello po ma'am."

"Naku, wag na ma'am, call me nanay na rin."

"Nayyyyyy........ano ka ba ba?"

"Bakit, ano ba dapat?"

"Bakit nanay tatawag niya sayo?"

"Paka-possessive mo naman, anak." She winked at Richard. "Nanay."