Chapter 11 - Closer

Good morning beshies! Early update today because I will be busy later. Hoping I can publish another update this afternoon, but no promises ok? 

Like Maine (fic or real), I'm a bit of a pessimist. I am because I don't like being taken by unpleasant surprises, so I assume the worst because I like pleasant surprises, haha magulo ba? In short, I love surprises only if they are pleasant. 

In this story, ficMaine has been dealt hardships in life, enough to make her a bit jaded that she can ever be happy. She's a realist, in the sense that she knows the odds are more against than for her. So imagine what's going through her head once Richard seems to be showing an interest in her. Of course she'd be a bit skeptical. Of course she'd imagine she's not being taken seriously, because sino namang boss would take out his secretary for a romantic dinner?  It will take a bit of a challenge to crack her shell and hopefully, Richard has what it takes to do so.

We're at #31 in just  seven days! Thank you very much :) 

Chanel was already in their classroom when Maine rushed inside and slid into the seat beside her. She was looking pretty dapper today, with her short, cropped hair slicked back, patent leather shoes with black slacks and an oversized white shirt.

"Guwapo mo ngayon, Cha. May date ka?"

"We're having dinner after class diba?"

"Oh shit. Cha, sorry I forgot. I'm having dinner with my boss."

"Wow, nagbihis pa naman ako only to get bumped off."

"Nagbihis ka for me? Pare baka ma-fall naman ako sayo."

Chanel is Maine's lesbian BFF. They met when Maine was being bullied by two seniors who wanted to date her. Chanel came to her rescue and pretended to be her partner. The two have been inseparable since, keeping boys at bay. Maine was thankful for the friendship that did not seek anything in return, even though Chanel nursed a secret fondness for her. But she knew Maine's priorities and respected them. Having her for a friend was enough. For now.

"Bakit may pa-dinner ang boss? Diba yan yung guwapo?"

"Yesssss. May di pa ko nakukuwento sayo eh, nagkasakit siya last night, ako nag-alaga sa kanya."

"Eh bat parang tuwang tuwa ka? Landi ha."

"Ay nako, be happy for me, ok? Hanggang ganito lang naman ako, di naman ako papansinin nun."

"Di ka papansinin eh bat ayan may pa-dinner na?"

"Thankful lang siya sa effort ko kagabi. Bat bang sungit mo?"

"Di ko pa na-meet boss mo ayaw ko na sa kanya."

"Ayan mami-meet mo na mamya. Pakiusap....huwag mo ko bakuran mamya ha. Please lang Cha, baka ma-off sakin yun."

"Kala ko ba hindi manliligaw eh bakit ayaw mong magpabakod?"

"Basta be nice. Pwede?" She bats her eyelashes at Chanel and tucks a stray lock behind her ear.

"Tangina.....Ang harot mo pala pag may type kang guy. Fine, hindi babakuran sige. Pero gusto ko pa rin kilatisin ha."

"Opo, kuya."

"Kingina, hindi tayo magkapatid."

"Sungit. Labyuuuuuu....."

-----

Richard went to a nearby mall to change his clothes into more casual attire. He purchased jeans, a shirt and changed into sneakers he had in the trunk of his car. He didn't want Maine to feel out of place dressed casually while he wore a suit. He entered the grounds of UP Diliman and parked at the AS parking area, texting Maine that he would be waiting for her in the car.