Chapter Thirteen

Michael's POV

Angelica's funeral was the worst day of our lives. We all dreaded it, knowing Calum would be a complete disaster; but we were to go.

All of us dressed in the appropriate outfits, trying too hard not to look like teenage band members. We decided riding separately would be the best thing to do, considering our parents would be attending and Calum's state.

Ashton thought it was appropriate to bring a bouquet of

flowers, but we decided against it as Luke reminded us of the night when he had to call Calum; he was picking a set for Angelica.

We arrived at the church at similar times, though Calum was late. When he showed up, his eyes were puffy and his cheeks were red. He wasn't crying, but you could tell he had been for a while. We took turns hugging him, the silence in between was almost unbearable.

There was a slideshow of pictures on a screen off to the side of the room, and Calum was in almost every picture. He looked up at them once, but just as soon as he did, his head lowered to the ground in frustration.

Her casket, sitting in the front of the room, stood open. There were flowers surrounding the box and spotlights all around her. I never understood the point in flowers. In the days before air or preservatives, the objective was to distract from the smell of the unfortunate corpse. But there's no longer a point in it. I guess it would be a sign of respect for the family, but it seemed like a waste.

Calum stayed close to us the whole time before the funeral. We hovered about in the corner of the large room as he greeted and hugged many people who gave their prayers and condolences.

Once the service started, the three of us, excluding Calum, joined our families in one of the back pews.

Many people whom I didn't know said things about her, giving speeches on how she was too young to die, and how a sudden death at her age was so unheard of. I zoned out for the most part; I didn't care to hear all of the bull they only prepared for her death.

But then, Angelica's mum called Calum up to say a few things. He was startled, not exactly expecting such a thing. Wiping the tears from his eyes, he walked up to the stand that was positioned next to her and looked at us as we sympathetically grinned.

"For those of you who don't know me, I'm Calum. Angelica was my," he choked up, waiting a few seconds before continuing, "she was my girlfriend. On the night of her death, she was on her way to dinner. With me. I was going to do something that took the both of us way out of our comfort zones," he looked back at Angelica's mum, who was sobbing profusely, "I was going to ask for her to marry me," he tried to finish, but broke down and was pulled from the stand by a sympathetic stranger.

There was a silence and a few small startled gasps. Suddenly, Luke jumped to his feet and took his lanky body around ours to the isle, and proceeded forward to the stand.

We were all puzzled as he cleared his throat and started to speak, "For those of you that thought to yourself on how foolish Calum could be for proposing at 17, you've obviously never seen them together. If you're asking why Angelica's mum and dad would ever allow him to take her away at 17, just listen. You've never seen the way she looked at him, or the smile that lingered hours after she left. The love they had was real, their age not a factor. I'm sorry to all of her family and friends, but I'm most of all sorry for Calum; he may never find love like that again." He stood awkwardly at the podium for a few seconds before ducking into the walkway and returning to his seat. Calum was slumped in his seat, speechless at the words just spoken.

Calum's POV

Angelica was an angel; her name even said so. She's still an angel, watching over me as I crave her return.

I would have sacrificed my love for her if I would have known the fate of my actions. Although I was, I'm still, madly in love with her, I would have risked my proposal to have her stay.

Why don't we get warnings before someone is to die? Why didn't I get some message, telling me she wouldn't be here much longer, so I could cherish the small amount of time we had left?

I would have taken her to Paris for us to kiss at the top of the Eiffel Tower. I would have travelled with her to Alaska to watch the Northern lights, and cuddle under them. We could have gotten married, travelled the world, done things I never even thought of doing until it was too late.

I could have, should have absorbed my luck and all her worth when I was able, but now I know I took advantage of her love for me. She's gone, and I can never change that.

I just really fucking miss her.