APOTHEOSIS

By. hecate_aristocrat

The streets of Seoul were chaotic. Gun blasts were heard everywhere, explosions shook the ground here and there. Police officers
and army were roaming around the Presidential Palace. Some were dead, lying lifeless on the ground.
Jessica hid at a street corner, in front of boutique, a kilometer from the Presidential Palace. Her hair that was tied behind her back was wet with her cold sweat. She was sitting on the ground, safe with her bullet proof vest on her body. A rifle rested in her arms, fully loaded.

She was scared to death.

A gun shot sounded not far from where she was sitting, making her covered her ears with eyes closed.

Jessica’s mission was to clear the Presidential Palace perimeter from the Korea resistance.

She took a deep breath, held her rifle tighter and stood up. No one was around her. It seemed like the street she was on had already been
cleared.

She came out from her hiding spot. Staying close to the walls, Jessica crouched and ran toward her destination.

The closer she got, the more nervous she became. A dropped of sweat ran down her cheek down to her neck.

Her feet moved faster. Not too far now. She could see the Presidential Palace garden already. The tall white fence stood strong
around it.

Jessica arrived at an intersection. She raised her rifle, lined it up with her nose, putting her eyesight straight. A traffic light pole provided her with enough protection when she looked around the intersection.

There was a body of a resistance to her right and an empty army vehicle to her left. No one.

With a heave of deep breath, Jessica ran again, faster this time. One more intersection ahead and she could finally take a rest
behind the white fence of the Presidential Palace garden.

A series of gun shots heard, right up front. Jessica ran to the side, flattened herself with the wall of an office building. She
put her trembling finger on the trigger.

A resistance, a young one, ran from the left side of the intersection. Three bullets went through him and he rolled on the ground
before disappearing behind a small café. Then a police officer, with his gun pointed in front of him, followed the young resistance.

The officer let out another shot but suddenly his head jolted backward as a bullet flew right through him.

Jessica yelped in horror.

Her body started to tremble even more and her heart was beating out of control. She took a peek to the dead police officer.

Jessica stood up and walked forward. Just finish your mission. She forced herself to move.

She touched the dead officer’s neck, looking for a pulse. Jessica found nothing. Then she turned around behind her to the downed
resistance guy. His stomach rose up and down so fast.

Jessica went to him and pointed her rifle at his head.

The resistance was so young. The kid gasped for air and then coughed up blood.

Oh, God, he’s too young to die.

The kid cried in pain and he muttered something incoherent.

“Damn!” Jessica cursed.

Jessica crouched before the dying kid. “How can you involved in this?” she whispered.

The kid looked at her with watery eyes. “J…,” the kid stuttered.

Jessica noticed the kid’s right hand. He was still holding his gun.

“Justice,” the kid said and he raised his gun, straight to Jessica’s head.

Jessica stood up, raised her own rifle and both of them opened fire.