CHAPTER EIGHT

| Sloane's Point of View |

"Happy twenty first birthday, Sloane!" Jakob and Billie Joe exclaim.

"You guys." I giggle.

"Thank God. You can legally buy me alcohol." Jakob says before Billie Joe smacks his arm.

"That's a negative." Billie Joe says.

"So are you gonna go get drunk tonight?" Jakob asks.

"Um..I didn't really have plans to do anything." I say.

"Actually, I'm taking her out to dinner because she deserves it. And I'm kicking you and Joey out the house." Billie says.

"That's gross." Jakob says scrunching up his nose. "Y'all gonna be gettin' busy."

"Oh my god." I say covering my face.

"Son, why don't you take the rest of the day off." Billie Joe says.

"Alright." He nods. "I'll probably go to Cade's tonight."

"That's fine." Billie shrugs.

"Bye guys." He says before walking out the door.

Billie Joe lifts me on the counter before pressing his lips to mine. He pulls away, smiling.

"I hope you like italian food." He says.

"I love it." I smile.

The bell over the door rang and Billie Joe helped my off the counter.

"Billie Joe?"

A woman was standing at the front of the store. The had long black dreds that were pulled into a ponytail. She wore all black.

"Adrienne? What are you doing here?" He asks.

He looked at her, starry eyed. I wish he'd look at me that way.

"I came to visit the boys." She says.

"Really? After 18 years you finally decide that your kids are important?" He asks.

I stood back a bit, just watching the two.

"They've always been important. I just needed to get myself straightened out." She replies.

"I was far worse than you, Adrienne. And you still left me with a toddler and a newborn." He shakes his head.

"Well I'm ready to be a mom now." She says.

"It's too late, Adrienne. Joey just graduated high school. Jakob graduates too in a few years. They don't need you anymore." He says.

She broke down in tears right infront of us. "How can I make it up to them?"

"You can start by actually meeting them." He says. "They're both at home."

She regained her composure and wiped her eyes.

"Where would home be?" She asks.

"The same place it's been since we were married." He answers.

She suddenly engulfs Billie into a hug. "Thank you."

After a few minutes, she finally leaves.

"What the fuck just happened." Billie Joe says sitting in a chair. "She can't just prance in here like that, Sloane. She can't do it."

I was at a loss for words.

"She disappears for all those years and just suddenly comes back."

"Look. I'm gonna head out and get some lunch..you get your head clear and we'll talk later, okay?" I sigh grabbing my purse.

"Wait, Sloane. Please don't leave me." He pleads.

I sighed and stared at him. I put my purse down before he engulfed me in a hug.

"I'm sorry. Today is your day. Let's make it about you."