chapter seventeen

Half an hour turned into an hour, and with a glance at the clock on her laptop, Violet jumped out of her chair. Her mother would be home soon, and she still had to make dinner and clean up the house.

Violet started with all her school stuff. She stacked it all up into a neat pile and rushed it to her room. Then, she began tidying up the kitchen. She washed the dishes and swept the floor. She quickly ran the vacuum over the living room carpet, getting a nasty glare from William who had been asleep in his bed.

About thirty minutes later, the house was tidy. Violet was out of breath and slightly sweaty as she made her way back to the kitchen.

She started looking through the cupboards for something to make for dinner. Her mom and brother would be home in about ten minutes. Theodore had gone over to a friends house after school, and was being picked up on their mom's way home from work.

Violet found some penne pasta noodles in the cupboard, along with a jar of pasta sauce. In the fridge, she found one pepper; an orange one. Violet boiled a pot of water, and dumped the noodles in to cook. As that was going, she began cutting the pepper and put them in a fry pan.

Once the noodles were done, Violet poured them into a different pan. She poured the sauce and peppers on top and mixed it all together.

Violet began setting the table,
and just as she took the meal off the oven, the front door opened.

"Vi, we're home!" Violet's mom yelled from the front door. Shoes were kicked off before she and Theodore walked into the kitchen.

"Perfect timing, dinner's ready." Violet replied as she set the serving bowl full of the pasta meal on the table. She stuck a serving spoon in the bowl before sitting down.

Theodore eagerly served himself some dinner, then Violet, then their mom. Once every plate was filled, they started eating.

Violet's mother complimented her on her cooking, like she always did. Violet pulled the same large smile as she said, "thank you."

Once everyone was finished eating, Violet's mom volunteered to clean up the kitchen. Theodore went into the living room to watch television, while Violet went outside to hed usual spot on the front porch.

The sun was already down, and the street was peaceful. Violet glanced over at the Dolan household, to see a few lights were on. She smiled softly, thinking back on the day they had together.