chapter twenty three

Today was the day that three teenagers were dreading; moving day. Violet lazily got out of bed, and got ready for the day. She showered and got dressed before heading upstairs to the kitchen. There, Violet poured herself a bowl of cereal and took her time eating it at the dining table. She finished just before the cereal had a chance to go soggy, and put her bowl in the sink.

Violet went into her living room, and looked out the window. A large moving truck was in the driveway of the house next door. Violet watched as her best friends carried boxes down their driveway, and slid them into the back of the truck.

Footsteps could be heard on the stairs, and Violet's mom came into view. "You're up early." She stated, before going into the kitchen for her daily coffee. Violet walked to the front door and slipped her shoes on. She left the house, and ran over to Ethan and Grayson's. Their front door was wide open, and Violet went inside.

"Morning." A very sleepy looking Ethan mumbled as he walked past Violet, a box in his arms. Violet moved out of the way before walking further into the house to look for Grayson. She found him in the living room, wrappin bubble wrap around his TV.

"Hey, Grayson." Violet said softly. Grayson hadn't noticed her arrival at first, but looked up at her.

"Are you sure it's a good idea that you're here? We all might start crying." Grayson said before going back to his wrapping.

"I'm not just gonna sit at home and watch you guys leave." Violet replied. Grayson shrugged lightly as he finished wrapping the TV, and carried it out to the truck. Violet started helping with the lighter boxes, and carried them outside. The boys didn't say much as they started carrying out their furniture.

Eventually, the truck was full, and the house was empty. Violet's mother had walked over to Ethan and grayson's house, and stood beside her daughter on the driveway.

"Leaving so soon? I hope we didn't scare you away." She joked. both the boys smiled softly, and a feeling of sadness washed over Violet at her best friends' faces.

"No, you guys were excellent neighbors." Grayson replied.

"Where are you guys going then?" Miss Waters asked.

"We're going to follow our dreams." Grayson smiled. Violet couldn't help it anymore, and allowed a tear to roll down her flushed cheek. She walked over to Grayson and engulfed him in a hug. Ethan awkwardly stood beside them as Grayson hugged Violet tightly. Eventually she pulled away, leaving Grayson with a tear stained shirt. Violet went to hug Ethan, but it wasn't as long as grayson's hug. It felt more casual. Violet pulled away, and went back to her mom.

"Well it was nice meeting you both, and I wish you all the best. I'm sorry though, I've gotta get to work." Violet's mom said. She said bye to the boys and Violet before heading back to her own house.

"I would say bye, but I know we'll see you again." Ethan said with a smile before going to get into the moving truck. Grayson got into his own car, and Violet walked over to the driver's side.

Grayson rolled down the window of his car. "Promise you'll come visit?" He asked, and held up his pinkie finger.

Violet chuckled, before linking her pinkie finger with Hrayson's. "I promise." She replied. Violet stepped back from the car, and waved as Ethan and Grayson started backing out of their driveway. Grayson still had his window down and honked his horn a couple times as he waved. then, both the blue Ford and white moving truck were out of view.

___

That night, Violet sat alone on her front porch. She no longer had anyone to sit with her. She glanced over at the house next door, half hoping she'd hear Ethan's music, or see Grayson sitting at the dining room table. But the house was dark, and empty.

Nyctophilia was the word Violet would use to describe her love for the night time. She still had to come up with a word that described how much she loved the boy that used to live next door. But for now, she'd stare out at the grass that looked almost grey in the moonlight, and think about how much Grayson Dolan had taught her to do a little more than observe the stars.

____________

The pain continues because this isn't even the last chapter lol