Dead? Dead.

Narrator's POV

"I'm sorry, she's gone," Dr. Whale said, a sorry look on his face.

Killian's heart sank somewhere far deeper than the ground. His mind was only filled with flashbacks of everything him and Emma have ever done.

Sad wasn't quite the correct word to describe how he felt right now, nor devastated, or any other synonym. What he felt was nothing. It seemed as if his heart had been cut from his chest.

"No, sh-she can't be g-gone," Killian said to Dr. Whale, attempting to hold back tears, but soon failing. "Emma, she can't. My ears aren't working well today. Please say that again."

"I'm truly sorry, Emma's dead."

Hearing it twice caused Killian's heart to shatter into a million pieces. What he said about his ears was a blatant lie. He just needed to make sure that he wasn't imagining things.

"No, she can't be! You're lying to me!" Killian shouted, refusing to accept the fact that his true love was gone. "Do you think lying about death is okay? Emma is my everything! I'm nothing without her! Are you trying to tell me that I've lost everything? Then you're lying!"

Dr. Whale took a step back, frightened, but trying not to make it look like he was. "Would you like to see her? All you'll see is your dead girlfriend, so please don't make assumptions. I would never lie about death," he said, immediately regretting the second sentence.

Though Killian wanted to give Dr. Whale a well deserved punch to the face, Emma was far more important. He not only wanted, but needed to see here.

Killian entered the room where Emma was kept to find a nurse turning off the monitor and removing the mask on Emma's face. Though Killian didn't want to believe it, he knew it. Emma was dead.

Killian couldn't bear to see Emma like this. Seeing his true love dead in front of him was his biggest fear. He always hoped they would at least be able to live to have children, but he now gave up on ever hoping for anything. Well, who could blame him? You know what they say about hope, it breeds eternal misery.

Killian fell to the floor in front of Emma. His face fell onto her bed, and he just sat there, mourning. Emma's parents soon came after getting the call that she was gone, and Killian was still there, his head filled with terrible thoughts.

"Emma!" David and Mary Margaret yelled as they entered Emma's room in the hospital.

Mary Margaret immediately broke down into tears when she saw her. "I was only her mother for five minutes! And the whole time, all she talked about was..." she looked at Killian. "You! It's your fault she's dead! If you didn't take her on that stupid date, she wouldn't be dead right now! I hate you!"

"Me?" Killian questioned. "You're blaming this on me?"

"Yes, I am! If you were less attractive, the waitress wouldn't have poisoned Emma! And if you were such a gentleman, you would've asked for another waiter if she was bothering Emma so much!"

Though Mary Margaret was wrong to blame Killian, he now thought it was his fault. David was the only one who made sense right now.

"Mary Margaret, you can't blame him," David defended.

"How can I not blame him when I know for sure he is to blame?" Mary Margaret replied.