{11} For Us

3rd Person POV

In the tent, with Brenda laying down and Thomas sitting on the bed next to her. The Doctor told him, "In the beginning, we were lost. All we knew for sure was that the younger you were, the stronger your chances."

Jorge was on Brenda's side as Thomas asked, "You worked for WCKD?"

The Doctor nods her head, "Long time ago. You know, at first, we had the best intentions. Find a cure, save the world. It was clear you kids were the key because you were immune. But why?"

"Eventually, we found an answer." Teresa was secretly listening as the doctor continued, "An enzyme produced by the brains of the immune. Once separated from the bloodstream, it can serve as a powerful agent to slow the spread of the virus."

"So you found a cure?" Thomas questioned and she shook her head. "Not exactly. The enzyme can't be manufactured, only harvested from the immune. The young."

She explained, "Of course, that didn't stop WICKED. If they had their way, they'd sacrificed an entire generation. All of this. A gift of biology. Of evolution. But one not meant for all of us."

Teresa left and the doctor walks over to Brenda inserting the syringe into her. "How long will that give her?" Thomas asked her

The doctor replied, "It's different for everyone. A few months maybe. But's that the catch isn't it? She'll always need more."

The doctor said to Jorge, "Okay. Let's go outside. Let them rest. Let's go. She'll be fine."

Jorge left the tent and the doctor said, "Thomas. You know she can't come with us, right? Look, I'll get Mia, okay?"

"Okay." Thomas replied and she walked away

Mia took a couple of deep breaths walking to their tent where the woman told her. Mia secretly was hiding behind the curtain as she was listening to their conversation. Thomas puts on his jacket watching Brenda.

Brenda flutters her eyes open and said, "Thomas?"

"Hey, are you okay? How are you feeling?" Thomas asked her

"Better, physically, I guess. But mentally, no." Brenda replied, "I know it's my fault you and Mia broke up."

Thomas sighed and said, "It doesn't matter now, Brenda. We're not together anymore."

"You could get her back, Thomas. You did it once, you could do it again." Brenda told him

Thomas responded, "She won't even talk to me. What am I supposed to do?"

Brenda said to him, "Don't give up, Thomas. Fight for her."

"Like I said, you did it once, it could happen again." Brenda continued looking at him

Thomas gave her a small smile saying, "I really love Mia and...I lost her."

"From what I learned from the two of you, is that you both keep fighting. No matter what happens, either of you guys gives up." Brenda said. "If you love her, and I know you do, just keep on fighting."

"Thanks, Brenda." Thomas whispered then Brenda said back, "I know Mia loves you, Thomas. Everyone knows that before you guys realized it yourselves."

Thomas chuckled and Brenda said, "That kind of love doesn't just die like that. I'm really sorry, Thomas. I knew I shouldn't have kissed you. But I did."

"It's okay, Brenda. I know what I'll always do now." Thomas replied. "Fight for her."

Brenda smiles and her smile went away as she said, "Thomas, I need to tell you something. I don't think Mia even knows. And since she's not talking to me, you could tell her."

"What is it?" Thomas asked then Brenda told him, "Mia has a brother, Thomas. I'm not sure if he's older or younger. But I know she has one and that WICKED separated them."

She showed him the item as he opened it. Brenda told him, "Same with me and my brother. They wanted him, not me. His name was George."

Handing back the item to her, she said, "Mia needs you, Thomas. Don't let her go so easily. She lost so much already. I don't want you to be on that list."

Thomas nods his head and he said, "Get some rest."

He gets up walking out of the tent. Mia was pacing back and forth after she heard Thomas say that he loves her. She was busy with her own thoughts.

Thomas said making her look at him, "Mia?"

Mia looks at him then places her hands on his cheeks bringing him down to her level. She kisses him passionately, closing her eyes. Thomas kisses back wrapping his hands around her waist, pulling her close.

She pulls back needing to take a breath. Her eyes flutter open as did he. "Woah." She commented

He looks at her and said, "Please tell me it's you and I'm not dreaming."

"It's me, Tom. It's Mia." Mia said caressing his face

Thomas smiled and asked, "Why you'd kiss me? Aren't you mad at me?"

"A part of me is still mad." Mia told him and Thomas asked, "And the rest?"

Mia looks at him and said, "Still loves you."

She paused and continued, "Look, I heard what you said to Brenda and I heard what she said, that she kissed you."

"Still, it happened and I hurt you so much." Thomas said quietly

Mia responded, "It did. But then I realized something about us, about what we have. I love you, Thomas. I really do and it scares me. Because Wicked broke us apart and now, we broke apart again."

"And yet, we fell in love once and we fell in love again." Thomas said now holding her hands

"Mia, I'm so sorry." He continued, "I should've not let you walked away. I should've fought harder the first time. And now, I'm going and I'll always fight harder; for us."

"I love you, Mia."

"I love you, Thomas."

"Forever and Always." Thomas said smiling at Mia as she smiled back. Their lips attached again as Mia was giggling happily