13

A N N A B E T H

My mouth fell open and dry nonetheless; I couldn't speak. I stuck my hand out to hold on to the desk, stopping the chair from spinning. "Uh — uhm..."

The six-foot-something blonde boy's expression hadn't faltered; he was still puzzled. I felt my heart pounding, and I was almost positive Luke could hear it with the silence that quickly fell between us.

Luke looked around the room, his teeth playing with the dark metal lip ring looped on his bottom lip. When his eyes fell back on me he decided to break the silence, "Where's Mr. Hood?"

"A meeting.." My small voice sounded, though I'm not sure how well he heard it as I was looking at my fingers which I was fiddling with in my lap.

"Why are you here?" I had a feeling his questions would keep coming until he could make something sound of the situation.

"Uhm," I pressed my lips together as I frantically tried to pull together a good excuse. I looked back up at the teenager who was stood with his arms crossed over his chest, eyebrows still creased. "My parents are out of town," I said. It wasn't a lie, "So, Mr. Hood said he could give me a ride home so I didn't have to miss tutoring."  It felt wrong to lie to Luke, but I wasn't really lying. The most of what I was saying was actually the truth.

"I could've given you a ride, Annie." He said softly, but I quickly shook my head and explained Calum had already offered just as class got over earlier in the day.

"Well, uhm..." I heard Luke sigh softly, and thought I was in the clear of anymore questioning. But, of course, I was wrong. "What were you doing?"

I shrugged my shoulders and slumped in the office chair, "I'm waiting for Mr. Hood. I got bored." I spun the chair around once more, again stopping it when I came back to facing the blue-eyed blonde.

He nodded, seemingly satisfied with that answer, but this did not stop him from asking any further. I got more nervous with each question he asked.

"So, what was it you were saying when I walked in? Were you expecting someone?" His head tilted to the side as he leaned against the wall.

I was hoping my face didn't just flush beet red, but I'm betting I was wrong. "I was, uhm..." I puffed my cheeks out and tucked my stray hairs behind my ears, "Uhm, I was just singing and stuff." Shrugging my shoulders, I avoided making eye contact.

"What were you singing?"

"Luke," My bottom lip jutted into a slight pout and with my elbow propped up on the arm of the chair, I rested my chin in my palm. "Can you please quit it with the questions? You're bombarding me..."

After darting his tongue out across his tongue, he nodded. "Yeah, I'm sorry, I—"

"What's going on?" Another voice filled the room and both my head and Luke's snapped in the same direction only to be met with deep chocolate eyes and dark hair.

My heartbeat picked itself up, and Luke's voice stuttered before he could actually get a sentence out.

"I— Uh, I just—" He pressed his lips together and a pink tint graced his cheeks, "I left my textbook in here, and I need it for my hom—"

"On the back table, Mr. Hemmings." Calum stated. I heard feet shuffle across the room. My eyes were glued on my lap and I could practically feel a gaze burning into me. I knew Calum wouldn't make whatever we had between us obvious to Luke, but I knew he'd pick up on some awkward tension because it was undeniably present.

The door opened and shut and quick "I'll see you tomorrow" type farewells were exchanged. The only sound was that of footsteps walking down the hall away from the classroom but that quickly faded and I was left in an uncomfortable quiet with and not-so-happy Calum only a few feet away.

I heard the faint sound of him swallow and after that he chose to break the silence, "Knees together, kitten." He firmly stated, and I, almost immediately, adjusted my sitting position.

I couldn't believe I had been sitting the way I had when I was talking to Luke. God, if he saw up my skirt. My face went red as it regularly does. I felt so embarrassed. I knew Calum wasn't excited about what he just walked in on, I knew there was some form of consequence I'd have to face and my stomach turned at the idea of it. I never liked being punished. Now, I didn't know what the older man had in store, but I was left with enough knowledge to build up my nerves. He had yet to give me any of these punishments he'd previously informed me about. Originally, I never thought I'd receive one, but it turns out I was moments away from being proven wrong.

a/n;

oh my god she updated again woahoh.

watch me update like crazy when i get ideas and then hold out for two months because i've run dry bahah

i don't know how to write well lmao

anyway, thank you for reading + voting + commenting i appreciate it :) any feedback is nice so if you'd like to take the time to leave some that's freaking great

love y'all :))