Chapter 4- COLE

Darkness. That was it. I was completely enveloped in an endless void of black. I couldn't see, the darkness was closing in. I became acutely aware of the gag secured over my mouth, making it hard to even swallow. Somewhere to my right, i heard a growl. Followed by a high pitched yip. A dog? My head lolled, but i was still blind. I was strapped to something hard, a table? Hooked up to wires, the beep of a heart monitor that i'd managed to drown out resurfaced in my mind. Pain blasted behind my eyelids, a reminder of the cruel reunion i'd made with the rocks the last time i was conscious. I hissed, closing my eyes and willing the pain to go away.

Click. Click. Bang.

The sound if a deadbolt turning caught my attention, and my gaze flickered towards the sound. A thin shaft of light appeared in the darkness, then was blocked as a figure stepped inside the chamber. Footsteps echoed, something on the right crunched. I heard the scraping of shoes of cobbles, then someone scribbling on a piece of paper. The person's breathing was slow but laboured, i focused back on the shaft of light. How far away was it? I couldn't tell. There was nothing that i could see outside of the door either, i had no idea where i was. The person shuffled, stood up. Footsteps receded, the shaft of light disappeared.

I was floating in darkness once more.