Chapter 19: Birds

I was standing out on the bridge, admiring the scenery. We were on this peaceful planet and everyone was in town visiting the townspeople.

"Hey babe," Shiro said while kissing my head.

"Hey," I said, looking down at our overlapping hands.

"Whatcha doing?" He asked in a tone a little bit over a gentle whisper in my ear.

"Admiring the view. The sunset is really stunning with all the different wavelengths of hues of light."

He hummed in agreement. It was quiet: no paladins getting into arguments, no gadgets buzzing, no timers going off. It was the tranquility that I always enjoy. I started singing softly, with Shiro joining me.

"I just wanna watch the birds up there, track the migratory patterns that they've flown."

"I wanna watch them from my chair; with my binoculars, my latte, and my phone. But I feel like just a nerd, watching birds. Watching me here all alone."

I looked back at him and smiled. He rested his head against the top of mine and admired the view with me.

============================

"YN, you should play a song for us," Lance suggested.

We were all in the lounge, recapping our day. Whilst relaxing. Seriously, none of us have relaxed for a long time.

"Okay, why not? It'll be nice since none of us have had relaxation for a while," I said with a smile.

I got up and headed towards my room to grab my uke. When I was waiting for our bedroom door to open, I noticed my ring sparkling in the dimmed lights. I went back to the lounge and started strumming.

"Okay, any suggestions?"

Everyone shook their heads, and Keith spoke up.

"Shall we sing Birds?" He asked with a smile.

I nodded and shook off the fact that he's knows that song. I started singing for him to sing along with the corresponding arrangements.

"I don't want to drive a fancy car today
I don't wanna ride in a red corvette
I don't wanna jog my Saturday away
But I don't wanna go home yet

Today is not the day to jump out of a plane
I don't wanna parasail or play roulette
I don't wanna risk it all or go insane
But I don't wanna go home yet

I just wanna watch the birds go by
From my handy foldable blue canvas throne
I wanna watch them fly and fly
And see them soar up into the unknown

But I feel just like a nerd
Watching birds
Watching me here all alone