Chapter 28

The morning air was nice and crisp and all I could hear was the leaves crumbling under my paws as I dashed through the trees. As I started to go back to the pack house I heard the snap of branches from close by. I immediately stopped and tried to listen more closely. Whatever it was, it started to come my way and I immediately started to smell another wolf. I got down into an attack position and when I heard that it was close I jumped from the undergrowth and pounced on the wolf only to realize that it was Jacob. I quickly got off of him only to see his black eyes staring daggers at me. He motioned towards a tree and threw a T-shirt my way. I took a quick sniff only to realize that it had Caleb's scent on it. When I looked up I saw Jacob shifted and dressed already.

"Don't worry, I won't look." He said in a monotone voice. For some reason, something about him still felt off. Maybe I just need to get to know him better. While thinking these thoughts I trouted behind the closest tree to shift to my human form and changed into the shirt he gave me.

"Why do you have his shirt?" I asked while coming from behind the tree. 

"It's been here since he visited the last time, which was when he first became king." He turned so his back was facing me and started to walk towards the pack house. "coming?" He asked looking over his shoulder at me. It took me a while to regain my thoughts and think what just happened and decided to follow him to the pack house.

"Don't worry Melody, I'm not stalking you, Caleb mind linked me saying you like run in the morning and that if I heard anything to not worry. He's very protective over you, I know he's your mate, but he makes it seems like he doesn't want you to slip through his fingers, but you're also changing him." 

"What do you mean by changing him?" 

He chuckled before continuing, " I forgot he found you in the middle of the forest. As you probably knew from before when he wants something he typically gets it, for example... you. He did travel all over the country tracking you down as you escaped him everytime he caught up to you. Good job on your part for staying hidden and outsmarting him that whole time. Anyways he used to be ruthless and selfish. Always had to be his way or else there would be a punishment. Why do you think I have the smallest land in the country? I disagreed with him and he punished me by not coming to talk to me and giving me the smallest land while being watched by the bigger packs that border me. He doesn't trust me."

"What did you disagree on and where is Caleb"

"He went back to Ben's pack to tell him what's happening and making sure they are on the same page as I am. I promised him I wouldn't attack their pack and would stay in line. He's very headstrong and a big control freak and I used to be his beta until I told him not to attack the Northern part of the country which was full of rouges. He wanted them all gone and to eradicate them. He didn't give any of them a chance to join a pack he just killed them. Women, men, and children. It was a bloodbath and I tried to stop him by challenging him for King, but obviously, he beat me and stripped my beta title and sent me here. He does regret what he did, but he'll never show it or admit it."

"hmm... Interesting." Jacob stops and quickly turns around almost knocking me over when I see that he is looking at me sternly.

"How does this not phase you? Most wolves would run away from a statement like that?"

"Well... Jacob.. It's in the past. You can only learn from the past. You can't change it and since we can't go back there's only one thing to do.. Go forward." His black eyes were piercing and kept looking into my emerald eyes.

"why can't Caleb control you? It's like you're unfazed by his tone?"

"Well... If you must know I have Alpha blood inside me and my father taught me how to be strong and resist doing stuff I don't want to."

"Interesting.... That's why I couldn't hear you in the forest. That's why you can be stubborn with Caleb... you've beaten him in fights haven't you?"

"hahaha. Yes... Yes, I have, He's not much of a battle for me." 

"You're an interesting person Melody... That you are... You're a very good fit for my brother. You'll be able to fill the void that our mother left behind?" by this point we were already at the house and Jacob had gone inside leaving me with that last thought.

"Wait... What are you talking about?" 

Jacob's head popped out and smirked at me. "Lunch should be served soon and Caleb will be back by then." he looked me up and down and then continued to talk "You should try to look presentable for the rest of the pack." And with that, he walked back into the house leaving me outside. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello I know it's a short chapter and I'm sorry for lacking in the updates! I didn't mean to leave you hanging this long and I know I say this a lot but I'll try to get better! I've just had a ton of homework and haven't been so busy it's not even funny! 

I want to thank all of the new readers and old readers because this book is doing really well. At least I think it is! 

Thank you for reading and commenting if you have! 

Read!

Comment!

Vote!

Yall are beautiful!

xxSami