Chapter 2

Merida

I didn't object to anything as Hiccup dragged me through North's workshop. Toothless had already bounded away, probably to be with the reindeer.

I could never get over the fact that whenever Hiccup took my hand in his, I felt like the way I did when I shot my first bulls eye.

Excited. Renewed. Happy.

"Where are we going?" I finally asked. He just gave me a knowing smile.

As we neared the massive doors leading to the globe room, Hiccup turned to me.

"You have to keep your eyes closed until I tell you to open them. No peeking!"

"What if I peek?"

"Then, um, I won't give you any kisses for a week?" He sounded very unsure of that answer.

"Oh what horror! To be deprived of kisses from someone who can't keep threats!" He gave me a little shove before turning serious.

"Alright, alright. Closing my eyes." I plunged myself into darkness and let Hiccup guide me. We moved forward a couple of steps before stopping.

"Okay, open!"

I opened my eyes and was hit in the face with a bunch of confetti.

"Jack!" Rapunzel half scolded, half laughed.

"What? I couldn't resist the temptation. Fine," he said after receiving a look from Hiccup, "sorry Mer."

"It's fine." Then I looked up. There was a big banner draped across the globe that read, "Happy 30th Anniversary!" There was a table set up with some candles and rose petals on it. The food-fish, potatoes, and small cinnamon rolls-sat there as well, steam still rising from it.

"I still can't believe you guys have been married for 30 years," Rapunzel said.

"And you haven't aged a day!" Jack exclaimed in a high, girly voice. It was a long standing joke between us about not aging. It had surprised us, the three new guardians, that we wouldn't age.

"I don't know Jack, I think I see a some white hair on your head," Hiccup said. We all laughed.

"Now we'll leave you two alone. Come on Jack," Rapunzel said, taking his hand and practically dragging him out.

"Shall we?" Hiccup asked, offering his arm.

"We shall," I replied, taking it graciously.

We laughed and talked and laughed some more over the delicious food. Rapunzel had really outdone herself. As we finished, the sun disappeared entirely, and the Northern Lights started to dance across the sky.

"Can I have this dance?" Hiccup asked, standing up. Music I hadn't realized was playing became a little louder. It was a slow, soothing song played on bagpipes. It reminded me of home.

"If I step on your feet, well, foot, know it's not because I'm clumsy, but because I am stuffed to the brim and feel very sluggish."

"Whatever you say," he said with a smile. We danced through 3 songs before we decided to retire to our room, Hiccup holding my hand the whole way there.