Chapter 18

Merida

We quickly gathered the guardians, pausing momentarily for Rapunzel after her baby grew.

"I found out how the imps are hiding," I began. "They are using the rabbit holes. Bunny, do you use the same trail to get everywhere, or are there new ones every time you travel?"

"New ones," Bunny said, almost sheepishly.

"Then we spilt up. Everyone gets a torch to use against the imps."

After torches were in hand, Bunny opened a tunnel and we split up.

I held my fiery hand aloft, searching. Something moved out of the corner of my eye. I whirled and came face to face with a tiny flying imp. It was smiling, showing pointed teeth. I grabbed it. The flames made it laugh before turning to dust.

I moved on, searching. Within the hour I found 20 imps.

As I turned the corner, I stopped. there was a sound coming from down the tunnel, like fluttering wings. I lit both my hands and moved forward.

I peeked around another corner and smiled. There was a huge cavern filled with imps in front of me. I stepped around the corner, held up my hands, and released the flames.

Soon the air was filled with laughter. The imps flew around in circles, making it like a game. A few escaped, but I got most of them.

I smiled with satisfaction. I then noticed something across the cavern. As I neared it, I realized why that long brown hair was so familiar.

"Rapunzel!" I yelled. She seemed to have passed out. I shook her, sighing in relief when she opened her eyes. "What happened?"

"The baby grew. It hurt more than it usually did, and I guess I passed out."

Rapunzel stood up, and I gasped. She had grown, all right. Before we had left, she looked five months along. Now, she looked seven.

She looked down, eyes widening. "Oh my."

We started to head back. About half way, I felt sharp pain in my abdomen. I arched my back, eyes screwed shut, choking down a scream. I saw black spots when I opened my eyes, but I took deep breaths and managed to stay upright.

I looked down. Now I looked seven months along.

We made it back. The others sighed in relief, but then they noticed our stomachs.

"What happened?" Jack asked.

"They grew, and they just happened to grow very big," Rapunzel said.

The guardians looked up at the ceiling.

"Bye guys," Tooth said.

"Good luck," added North.

I looked up, too, and saw how bright the moon was becoming. White light surrounded us.