Chapter 23

Rapunzel

North was already making plans for his new workshop. The yetis were hiding out in some caves somewhere at the North Pole, and it shouldn't be too hard to find them.

A portal appeared, and Merida and Hiccup appeared. Merida handed me Alec before turning and running off. I could hear her sobs from where I was.

"What happened?" I asked.

Hiccup looked at me sadly. It looked like he was going to cry, too. "We only saw our parents because it was their final hours. Merida is taking it hard. Can you watch Alec for a little bit?" I nodded, watching him follow her to their room.

Jack, who was holding Orianna, glanced at me, eyes wide.

"Oh! Haven't I told you?" North said suddenly. "When I found out about the babies, I made some things for them. Check out the room at the end of the bedroom hall."

Jack and I walked down the hall, ignoring the faint sound of crying coming from Hiccup and Merida's room.

When we opened the door, I couldn't help but gasp. There were two cribs on either side, blank and white. There were tables at the base of each crib, filled with diapers and blankets. There were two rocking chairs and a toy bow for each of them. There were also these weird contraptions. It looked like you put the baby in, but not until try were older. Right now, these two were ready for a proper bed.

I laid Alec in the crib on the left. Jack put Orianna in the other one. I grabbed a blue blanket and laid it over him. He grabbed a corner of it, chewing on it. I spun the mobile, which had a snowflake, flower, flame, and dragon on it.

"A little help?" Jack asked. Orianna was moaning a little, ready to cry, whenever Jack put her down. I went to the toy chest and pulled out a green stuffed chameleon. I put it in the crib with her, and she grabbed on to its tail, gurgling.

"Easy," I said, brushing off my dress. Jack rolled his eyes.

We stayed in the little nursery, watching the sun set through the window. They sky was a brilliant red when the door opened.

Merida and Hiccup stood in the doorway, looking around the room.

"What is this?" Merida asked, nudging the contraption with her foot.

"No idea," Jack replied.

Merida went over to the toy chest, inspecting the stuffed animals and the soft letter/number cubes. She paused, smiled slightly, and held up a little black and white horse and a black dragon. "It's Toothless and my old horse Angus."

She held on to those little animals and grabbed a few more blankets. Hiccup gently picked up Alec.

"We're going to bed, goodnight," Hiccup said.

"Where will Alec sleep?" I asked.

"There is a crib in our room, I don't know about yours." They softly closed the door behind them. I glanced at Jack.

"Alright, grab squirt, bedtime," he said, grabbing more blankets. I gently lifted Orianna up. She squirmed a little, but stayed asleep.

Sure enough, there was a crib in our room. I laid Orianna down, smiling as she curled up around the chameleon. I laid a blanket over her, kissed her head, and went to bed.

"Goodnight Punzie," Jack whispered, wrapping his arms around me.

"Goodnight Jack," I whispered back.