Chapter 8

I stayed rooted to the chair for about twenty more minutes, taking it all in. So I have finally met my long-lost father! Crazy, how that is. He has been in my house my whole entire life, but I have never actually met him.

I heard a knock coming from outside of the office, but I barely took any notice to it. I was just staring at the flowers on Marty's desk, not noticing that I was until I took a break from my thoughts but deeply returning to them, keeping my eyes fixed on the same place.

Marty poked his head in.

"Hey, Jules. How are thing's going?" Marty asked softly, trying to keep things calm.

"Where is he?" I managed to ignore his question. My eyes were still looking on the flowers, my mind still searching through the thoughts, my mouth barely moving when I asked the question. The second I asked it I forgot what the question was.

"Oh, he went home." Marty answered.

"Who?" I asked, finally shaking my head and bowing it towards Marty's direction. Marty had a confused look on his face.

"Your- your a- father." Marty said.

"You? But your standing right there." I replied, all the sense drained out of me. My eyelids were growing heavy. I just realized how exhausted I was.

"No, you just asked where your father was!" Marty said, akimbo. 

"No, I didn't." I put my head in my hands, just about to fall asleep.

"Uh, anyways... How did it go?" Marty asked, relieved to change the subject.

"What go?" I muttered.

"What did you say?" He asked leaning closer to me.

"I didn't say..." I trailed off.

"Jules, what's wrong? Did he hit you? Did you- what's happening?" Marty asked, his voice starting to sound hesitant.

I looked up. The world was spinning before my eyes. Who was this strange man? Why was he touching me? "Who are you? Get away from...!" My eyes started spinning around like crazy. "Why- what? Where am I? Help!" I said, my tongue not able to form the words.

"Julie! It's me, Marty. How are you feeling?" Marty asked desperately.

"Who Julie? I'm gaaafff--" I started to explain. The last thing I saw was Marty leaning over me, until my world went black.