Chapter 29

A week past when I remembered. My mind backtracked to when I first met Nancy. But before I met Nancy even, when I was walking down our porch steps after inspecting the shack I'm forced to call my home, two boys tripped me and ran away. They had the same chocolate shake skin as my mother and Nancy. I decided to go ask. Who should I ask? Marty? He wouldn't know. Plus he's been out all day. Nancy? No. Things still weren't... normal... between us. I guess they'll never be, since we didn't know eachother even though we were twins for thirteen years. I guess that leaves Mom.

I heave a big sigh after I tear myself away from a boring book and skip down the steps. Its scorching hot out in my long jeans and teeshirt. Mom took me shopping with Nancy, an extremly awkward experience, but I desperatly needed it. All the ugly neon peices of cloth, not even close to anything I call clothes, are all a forgotten past along with the rest of it.

I haven't told mom or Nancy or anybody about my strong senses, since they are already started to come back down to normal. I've gotten so used to loud noises, horrid smells, and electrifying tastes  that I barely notice them anymore.

Before I know it I'm at Mom's doorstep. I walk right in. She told me I didn't need to knock.

There she sat by the kitchen table. She was reading the newspaper, surprising they even got that here, with her little old red glasses on, the ones she always wore before. Oh, how much I missed her.

Without warning I ran over to her and gave her a big hug, like I was three again.

"Oh my, Julie! You scared me!" She chuckles and hugs me back.

"Mom?"

"Yes, my darling?"

"I missed you so much. How could you ever leave me? I seriously thought you were dead." I sighed.

"I'm so sorry darling. But your sister needed me. I wasn't going to let my daughter get adopted!" She explains for the billionth time.

"I know, I know. But why didn't you bring her back home to California?"

"Oh, I don't know. It was just all so confusing and-"

"Ah, ah ,ah, never mind. No need to explain again!" I say before she blabbers on like her old self again. "That's not what I came here for."

"Alright, then what did you come here for?" Mom asks, setting down the paper, taking off her glasses, and putting her elbows on the table so her face was right in front of mine.

"Well, you see, I was just wondering if you knew the people in this area. Because when I first met Nancy, these two little boys tripped me and I was wondering who they were. I don't know why all of a sudden I'm thinking of it, but whatever." I explain, and while I say this she looks down.

"Ah, yes. Casper and Fragil. Casper's seven and Fragil's five." She says.

"Oh, OK. I was just wondering. So they're our neighbors?"

"No, honey. They're my sons." Mom says.