Chapter 10

A few days after that big tragedy, ( I took off school. I tried to convince my dad to let me drop out but he was too busy sobbing his head off. Marty was still too surprised about what happened to answer, either.) was her funeral. We invited the few people we knew, a couple of friends and my mom's parents. Dad didn't come, though. He said he had his own time already with her before the funeral. So I was forced to go with Marty.

It was kind of awkward. We barely knew any of the people and the fat "priest" was just a random guy who managed to show up. So when he was saying his "speech", that he was just probably thinking of off the top of his head, Marty and I were the only people who were crying. Her parents just left right in the middle of it. The friends that we invited, they never came. We can barely even call them our friends, just some acquaintances who we don't even know the name of.So it was just me, Marty, and that stranger. I wish we had something more. Something better than a three-person funeral. Well, it was sort of four if you include my mother, but it is still depressing.

'She deserves something better. Something way better. She was such a good person! I thought. Before, whenever I complained about something, she would say, "Julie, you always accept what you get and make the best of it, okay? No matter how bad or hard it might get, you should never doubt that it can be better. Just accept what you get. People in Africa are starving and don't have a thing, so don't ever complain like that. You understand?" I would nod my head. I never complained since then.

But now I was. Stop it. I held my breath and smiled. I was happy how it was.

When the priest finished his little, embarrassing..... thing..... He said he had other things to do and quickly packed his things and left. Marty and I just stood there. He was thinking exactly the same thing I was:

                                                 What a funeral!