Chapter 36

With Marty and Jennifer out of the way, we could finally get some planning done. Not that there was much else to plan.... But just to get every last detail settled we stayed up almost all night for the week that we had to wait. It was mostly because we were so excited plus the fact that it would probably be the only time Mom would let us.

Mom talked to Dad a lot. I never got to talk to him though because Mom said," He would really perfer to talk to you in person about everything."

This sort of worried me. I didn't know if he would be mad, sad, happy, or sorry because ,personally, I've forgotten him for ten years. But luckily I had Mom and Nancy to cheer me up. And Fragil. Fragil could cheer everyone and anyone up. I haven't admitted it to Nancy yet, but he really is the cutest little angel.

The day before we were going to leave was VERY hectic. We packed everything we had, everything we didn't have, and we basically turned the whole house inside out, which didn't take too long. I realized for not the first time what a dump this place is. I almost felt bad for Nancy and CAsper and Fragil for having to grow up here. But they'll have an amazing home in just a few hours.

Once we were settled into the airplane- no sickening helicopter- Fragil was almost screaming. HE was so afraid because he'd never been in plane before. ONce we took off a flight attendant had to come to calm Fragil down so Nancy and I pretended we didn't know them and stared at Mom as Casper and Fragil the same way that all the strangers nearby stared at them. 

After many sleepless, boring, and crazy hours of sitting in the plane, we finally landed at the airport. Mom lead the way the whole time until we spotted- I spotted him because nobody knew what he looked like. 

"Dad! Hey Dad! Over here!" I called out when I saw him and started waving my hands.

He turned around. His face was lit up like I've never seen before. He ran. He sprinted torwards us on his fast strong legs, pushing a man down on the way. A very different perspective from when I first saw him sitting on my bed in my old bedroom.

He crashed into Mom. She almost fell over from the impact. Nancy was standing by smiling, like me, waiting patiently.

"I missed you so much." I heard Dad say through sobs."Don't ever leave me again."

 "I won't. I love you, and I won't." Mom answered.

Finally, Nancy couldn't take it. "Hello." She called out.

Dad let go of Mom. He turned to Nancy. "Hi." He said in a voice that was unrecongnizable.

"I'm.... You're my..." Nancy started to sniffle.

"Your long-lost father. Nancy, I'm so sorry, about... about everything. We should never have given you away." Dad says and hugs Nancy hard. She hugs him back.

Then Dad turned to Fragil and Casper, who were bored and not really interested since Dad isn't actually their dad.

"Fragil and Casper. You guys aren't exactly my sons, but..... How about we act and be a family?"

"Sure." Casper shruggs and turns to Fragil.

And finally, Dad makes his way torward me. He hugs me like I've just lost a leg.

"I'm so, so, so , so sorry. I can't even explain. I ruined your life and I'm sorry. I should've, I.... I didn't.... I don't know...." He cried into my shoulder.

"I know, Dad. I know, you did ruin my life along with Marty and Mom. But that doesn't matter anymore because the past is the past and Mom and Marty and now you have saved my life. YOu did your job. First you ruined it but then you fixed it. Like that old computer you broke. Broke it then fixed it. It'll all be OK." I say.

"You're right. You've become so grown-up. I should be saying that but I can't. I can not say anything because if I say everything'll be alright I'd be lying. And you've had enough lies. Things will indeed be better but at some points in your life you'll remember your horid past and I don't want that, but it's the truth. And you want the truth, right?" Dad says looking into my eyes.

"Of course, Mart- uuh, Dad. And you're right: I will remember things that I'd rather forget. But soon my brain will fill up with amazing new memories and soon push out the bad ones." I say, smiling. I put an arm around Nancy and hug her close. "Because now I have a real family." Then I grab Casper and give him a kiss on the forhead.

Then Mom and Dad and Fragil joined the hug. And there we were, in the airport, hugging eachother like psyco people. But I didn't care.

All I cared about was right now, and right now, right this second? I was happy.