Chapter 19

The next morning I woke up with Marty rocking my shoulder and the curtains drawn open. I squint my eyes and strained to see. With my senses set on high, I could smell Marty's aftershave and his shampoo. Outside, the birds were screaming to one another instead of their usual morning singing. Marty was saying something in a loud voice, so he was basically mumbling to normal ears. The covers felt heavy on my legs.

"Get up, Jules!" Marty screamed. "We have to leave in half an hour!!!"

 "OK, OK. Stop yelling!" I replied.

"Oh right, sorry. I forgot." He said in a quieter voice, but still pretty loud to my ears.

"Just get up." He was whispering. Then he left the room.

I got up and changed into my most normal clothes: The longest shorts I could find and a dirty pink shirt with a nature green bird on it.

Downstairs, Marty had made a lousy breakfast. Toast with jam. After I ate by myself, I brushed teeth and my hair. When I went back to my room all the furniture was out and it looked rather...small. Without all the extremely crazed stuff in it I could see how I would actually like it. I would've put a nice- no time for that now. Should'da, would'da, could'da.

I grabbed my bag and scurried downstairs. At the door Marty was standing. He was looking around the living room, knowing that he'll miss the home.

"Jules. This way." Marty instructed.

I followed Marty outside and, to my surprise, there stood a helicopter. One from his job, I guessed.

"This is so cool!" I shrieked over the noise that the helicopter was producing. It was like bombs going off to my ears.

Marty gave a strange glance. "You know we've done this before, right? Oh wait, never mind." He said, and hopped into the helicopter.

"Um, Marty? I'm claustrophobic."

"What? No, come on. It'll be fine. Just around a thousand miles to Burlington, Iowa. " He said, almost sarcastically, and pulled me along.