Chapter 33

I could'nt help myself. I just had to follow Marty. I know, no more secretive stuff but, no way to resist.

While he ran off, I slunk from tree to tree, not letting him out of sight. Then, he stopped. He just stopped. I stopped, making  a branch snap. But Marty didn't even notice. He was staring at a white building, much like ours. Then he climbed the porch steps and knocked on the door.

I inched my way closer. Marty turned around. I just stood there because I knew, I knew there was no point in moving because I knew he saw me. I'm caught. Shit.

Before I knew it Marty came sprinting torwards me. Is he going to, to tackle me?

Oh, God, he's going to kill me! Oh God. Ten steps. Five more steps. Oh no, oh God.

I closed me eyes. I waited a second. That would've been the time that he'd reach me. A second. Five seconds past. Then ten. I waited thirty seconds before I opened me eyes.

I saw the house. But just the house, no Marty. Where had he gone? I turned around and turned the other way. I thought of how silly I must've looked, just standing there with my eyes closed.

Then I heard the voices.

"Jennifer, I missed you so much. Please come back with me." It was Marty's pleading voice.

"Marty, listen. I wanted to go to China, you didn't. I went, you didn't ." A young womans voice answered.

"I know, OK." Marty's voice broke. "I know. You thought I didn't love you, thats why I didn't go. But I did. Ok? I did. And I still do. I just couldn't leave Julie there with Paul."

"Julie. Is she here, where is she?" Jennifer asked.

I jumped by the sound of my name coming from a stranger and randomly lay on my stomach. Don't know how much coverage this did but whatever.

"Oh, yeah. She's right over there. Jules! What are you doing?" Marty asked pointing torwards me.

"Oh, uuh, I was just, you know, looking for something."I say embarrasingly standing up and brushing dirt of my legs.

"OK....."Marty says questionaly. "Come here."

When I nerviously wobbled over to them Jennifer was smiling.

"HI, I'm Jennifer! Marty's, uum, ex. We never really met I guess." She said happily shaking my hand.

"Hi. I've heard a lot about you." Then added a nervous chuckle, remembering all the bad things I've heard.

"Well, so you know."

"Hehe, ya, right, about that....." I say nervously.

There's something stuck between my teeth. My God, what is that? This stupid dump never has any floss.

I dig in my mouth and scrape between my teeth. "Sorry." I mummble with my hand still stuck in my mouth.

"Uum, you alright, there?" Jennifer asks looking sideways at me, chuckling.

I nodd and take my hand out. It has a bit of saliva on it but I wipe it on my already dirty pants.

"Right. Sorry about.... her." Marty says with a grin.

"Oh, I'm alright with her." Jennifer says with that same grin.

Then, unexpectantly, they hug. It's more of a friendly hug. A nice hug. A warming hug.

And somehow, I know, Jennifer missed Marty, too.