Chapter 1

I get off the plane and reach for my phone to call my uncle and let him know that I have safely landed. I text him and he immediately responds and told me that he's parked in front of the airport. 

I watch as people push and shove to quickly get to their flight on time. People have their laptops out using this time to get extra work in. Everywhere I looked there were crowds of people. Some impatient people waiting at baggage claim, but I won't have to experience that feeling of impatience because I am having all my luggage driven up here.

I make my way out the airport and see my very excited cousin standing in front of my uncles car. I run to her with open arms. I hear her squeal as she hugs me and I laugh a real laugh. Something I haven't done in a while. 

I hug my uncle as well and we all file into his Jeep.

"So, how have you been Kayla?" Joe asked, making small talk.

"I have most definitely seen better days, and days have seen a better me, but I'm getting there." I state. He smiles at me in the rear view mirror.

"I know you're itching for this so here you go." I look down and Janae is handing me the aux cord. I put my hand on my chest as I feel honored to be given the legendary aux cord.

I smile and jam the cord into my phone and play Rich The Kid- I'm Cool ft Famous Dex.

Janae immediately starts dancing and singing the words.

"Playing bitches just like 2k... I'm getting money everyday." We sing and Janae starts recording me on her snap.

"Yea I'm tatted on my face... A 30 right up in my waist, All these niggas don't know ya'll... I'm flexing in my overalls." I said flexing. 

Joe shakes his head and laughing as he pulled out of the crowded airport. 

We play music the rest of the way to my new home. The moment we pull up to his house, Janae hops out the car and drags me into the house. I instantly feel the heat, coming out of an air-conditioned car realizing I chose the wrong day to wear a sweatshirt, I say to myself as I look down at my maroon sweatshirt and my Adidas sweatpants.

She shows me around and tells me where my new bedroom will be. I looked inside and everything was already put away and decorated. I had a lot of clothes so it must of took a century to put everything away. 

The room still smelled of fresh paint, I thought, as I made sure to not touch the freshly painted grey walls. I give my family one more big hug and thank them fro everything. I am definitely a hand full but I'll make sure to stay out of trouble, seeing all the hard work they put into making sure I felt like I was at home.

A couple hours later, I was in my new room chilling on my bed, watching movies on my laptop. All of a sudden I hear the door burst open. I looked up, startled, and saw my cousin in the door way.

"Yes?" 

"My friend just hit me up asking if we wanted to go to his house for dinner. Dads knocked out, and I don't know where his card him to order out." She said.

A guy... huh.

"Is this any specific guy? Do you know him well enough to eat over? Does he do drugs? Does your dad-" I'm cut off by my cousin throwing a makeup brush at me. I dodge it and chuckle.

"I've known him since I was seven and his dad and my dad are the best of friends. He doesn't do drugs, I'm pretty sure he would't poison our food, and dad does this all the time. He knocks out and I go next door for dinner. Now put on some shoes and lets go." She yanks me off the bad.

"Wait, I look a hot mess right now, you can't expect me to meet everyone looking like this." 

I had my hair in a bun and a pair Emerson's basketball shorts with the same sweatshirt from earlier and I have knee high Nike socks right now. 

She turned around and shrugged "Your edges are laid so that's all that matters."

I roll my eyes as I pull my hoodie up and tie the jaw strings. I slip on my Nike slides and we walk out the house. 

I get my phone to see what time it was. I turn it on and I'm met with Emerson cheesing from ear to ear. I set him as my lock screen so I will never forget him, since hes not here to give me a constant reminder. 

It was 8:57 and it was dark as hell but the street lamps lit up the sidewalks. It wasn't a long walk at all, being that the house is literally next door. 

We walk up the stairs to their house and I expect her to knock or something, but instead as opens the door and walks straight in. I raised my eyebrows but followed her in.

I am immediately met with voices talking among themselves. Janae cleared her throat making everyone turn to her. 

I'm looking down at my phone not really paying much attention.

"This is my cousin Kayla, everyone make her feel at home, and don't annoy her or else its gonna be me and you, 1 v 1." She announced.

I heard everyone say hello or hi, and I look up to say hello back. 

"Hey." I said and looked back at my phone. My head instantly shot up again.

"Lonzo Ball?" I say out loud with my face in shock.

"Oh yeah, I forgot." Janae said sitting in between Li'Angelo And Lonzo.

"You don't just forget to mention that I'm going over to the Ball residence. That's not something you forget J." I said laughing. Everyone laughs and goes back to their conversations.

I look for a seat and there is a seat next to Eli. I plop down next to him and he looks over with a goofy smile. 

"Hi Kayla." he says raising his eyebrows. I take my fingers and push his eyebrows down and smile. 

"Pfttt, she dubbed yo shits." I heard Gelo say. I looked his way and he smiled showing his brace mouth. I chuckled and went on my phone.

"Aye who's that, your mans?" Eli said being noisy as hell. I shook my head.

"He's my best friend." I simply state. He nodded.

"So he still at your home town?" He asked.

I didn't have a problem talking about him at all, but it just seemed like today was a different story I guess. 

"I guess you can say that." I say ready for this conversation to be over with.

"It's a yes or no quest-" 

"He's dead ok? Now can you stop asking." I cut him off getting up.

"Wheres the bathroom?" I asked Gelo who saw the scene unfold. He seemed like the most tolerable one so far.

He pointed in the direction of the bathroom and I headed that way.

I closed the bathroom door and instantly start sobbing. 

Why did you have to leave me Emerson?