Chapter 12

August 21

Tomorrow is Melo's birthday and I need someone to drive me to the stores I need to go to so I can get the rest of Melo's gifts.

I already got him pair of diamond studs and a gold necklace with a basketball charm on it but I want to get him a lot more stuff.

He never really talked about what he would want but I want to go all out for him because I've been blowing him off to spend time with the girls.

I know it irks him that I've been ignoring him but he tries not to really show it. We've been around each other for long enough that I can read him like an open book.

In all honesty, I'm acting like this because I'm not officially his girlfriend. He still hasn't popped the question even though we act the part. But I don't want him to think that I'm just going to sit around and let him call our relationship "complicated" when people ask if we're dating.

He repeatedly asks if he did something wrong but I shrug my shoulders and say "You tell me" just to work his nerves.

Anyways, I want to make up for my pettiness since I'm starting to feel a little bad. And I also don't want to be that jerk to have him pressed on his birthday.

We are throwing a 'birthday bash' for him and it's all he's been talking abt for the past week. It was cute at first, to see him so excited, but it got annoying after a minute.

Back to my problem, I've been calling everyone that I could think of to drive me but everyone is either too busy, or just too lazy. I know it's last minute but I was still thinking about what to get him.

I was in my bedroom and it was getting pretty late. Joe won't get off of work for another hour and Lonzo is still getting stuff for Melo's party. Gelo is knocked out and Lonzo is actually at college for once in his life. Melo is definitely out of the picture since I'm 'mad' at him and it's also his birthday present so he will eventually find out that in getting his presents.

I guess I have to go bother Gelo and see if he can drive me.

I already had on a pair of jeans and a regular red polo shirt and my hair surprisingly  flat ironed. I never really put heat on my hair so I don't risk getting heat damage but I put a lot of heat protecting products in my hair and I got another flat iron so I should hopefully be good.

Janae was sleep so I texted her that I'm gonna see if Gelo can take me. They're literally the same person, they are always sleep and they can be really secretive.

I grab my slides and my wallet and shove it in my back pocket and make my way to their house.

I knock on their door a couple of times and I heard shuffling behind it. It swung open and I was met with Melo's mop of curly hair. I haven't seen him in about a week so he's obviously taking it some type of way.

He nodded his head at me and walked away from the door. He sat down on the couch and I closed the door. I didn't say anything to him but I made my way upstairs to Gelo's room.

I opened his door slowly and peaked in his room. His whole body was emerged under the covers including his face. It never fails that his face is covered. He always had the hood over his face when he wears it, and now when he's sleep. I don't understand how he hasn't passed out from all this heat.