Chapter 4

(It's always Brynn's POV if I don't specify otherwise)

     "I don't want to wake her up!" I faintly hear someone yell as I attempt to sleep. Ugh, I just want lay in bed all day instead of doing anything.

    "She'll be mad if I wake her up, but she'll just call you an idiot," the voice of my dad echoes throughout the house. I understand they're arguing  to get me up, but I'd really appreciate it if they'd be quite. Someone huffs and enters my room. Dang it, I have to get up now. It's probably only 7 anyways. 

     "Brynn, your dad wants you to wake up," a familiar voice tells me, and I bolt up, opening my eyes. My arms wrap around their torso, and they let out a quiet laugh.

     "Devin!" I squeal, hugging him. I haven't seen him in person for the longest time.

    "Brynn!" he smiles, hugging me back. We laugh together as the two of us hug.

     "I missed seeing you in person," I admit, and he nudges my side.

     "Same with you, short stack," he comments with a teasing smile playing across his face. I glare at him while he sits there hysterically laughing.

     "It's not my fault you're a literal giraffe," I pout, making him roll his eyes.

     "It's not my fault you're short," Devin adds, making me groan.

     "I'm 5'2" there are a lot of people shorter than me," I defend myself.

    "I'm 14 inches taller than you. How does that make you feel?" Devin asks as if I'm getting interviewed, putting a hairbrush by my mouth like a mic would be.

     "Fabulous Devin. I just love having to crane my neck up to look at you," I answer fake enthusiastically, giving a fake smile with a thumbs up.

    "And I love having to stare down to look at you," he grabs my hand and high fives me. Wow Devin, so mature.

     "Where's Hannah I want to talk to her," I smile, excited to see my female best friend. It's impossible to pick between Hannah and Devin (since they are such different people), so I refer to them as my male best friend and my female best friend. Devin's eyes widen and gives me a worried smile.

    "Hannah... umm... how do I put this? She doesn't know that I'm here," he tells me nervously with a dry chuckle at the end. I glare at him and start hitting him with my pillow.

     "Why wouldn't you tell her?" I interrogate while beating him with my pillow. His hands move to protect his face as he curls up into a ball on my bed.

     "Your dad wouldn't let me," he informs me, and I stop hitting him with the pillow. Of course it would be my dad, but why would he not want me to see Hannah?

    "Why?" I ask grumpily. I'm overjoyed that Devin is here, but there's a part of me that's really bummed that Hannah isn't here because of my dad.

     "Your dad called me here for business purposes," Devin answers so quietly that I almost don't hear him.

     "What type of business purposes?" I ask, genuinely confused. What would my dad want to do with Devin?

     "I was told to come up here and get you to come downstairs, so he could explain it to you," he explains, but I cross my arms.

     "Devin," I say accusingly, and he puts his hands up in the air.

     "Fine, I'm coming," I stand up. His eyes widen.

     "You should get ready first," he tells me, but I dismiss it.

     "I want to find out why my dad had to mix his business with my life," I shake off his previous comment, slipping on a pair of bunny slippers.

     Currently, I'm wearing one of my brother's old shirts with some pajama bottoms I got from Justice in the 6th grade. I hit my growth spirt then, so I'm practically the same size now as I was then. My hair is a disheveled mess, but it doesn't matter.

    As I attempt to get out of my room, my brother walks out of his room.

    "Devin!" he cheers, giving Devin a "bro hug."

    "Hey bro," Devin greets. The two of them start talking, so I slip away to go find my father. I tip toe away before trying  to find my way to the stairwell. Turn after turn, corner after corner, I can't find my way. This is why I stay in my room all day. 

      I decide to just book it and randomly run around in attempt to get to the stairs. As I turn a corner, I run into someone's chest, and I fall to the ground.

      "Oh my god I'm so sorry," a deep voice apologizes quickly befor practically picking me up and putting me on my feet. As I look at them, my throat goes dry.

      "I-t's o-okay," I stutter awkwardly. What?

     "Are you sure? I should have payed more attention to where I was going," he clarifies, and I nod.

     "Yeah, I was the one running around like a crazy person," I blurt. Thankfully a small smile comes across his face.

     "Were you looking for someone? I know I was sent up here to look for Devin," he responds. 

      "N-no. I was lost," I answer bashfully, and he tilts his head slightly to the side.

     "In your own house?" he asks amused, and I blush.

     "Yeah, I mostly stay in my room," I admit, and he nods.

     "Relatable," he says.

     "I'll help you find Devin if you help me find the stairs," I offer.

       "I'm sorry, but I don't make deals with strangers," he smirks, making me playfully roll my eyes.

     "I'm Brynn," I greet, sticking my hand out.

     "I'm Michael."

A/N I haven't updated in while

A/N I haven't updated in while. Oh well. I hope you like this update. Vote, comment, and share.