Chapter 14: Snap

Dan heard the bell go from the roof. As soon as the first ring went off, Dan had jumped down into the Year 11's cafeteria balcony and was rushing through the halls.

Students parted ways as Dan sprinted through the corridors, some having perplexed looks on their faces and others whispering. Dan didn't care. He wanted to make it to the Nurses office before Phil could leave.

He got to the Staff corridor, seeing Phil stood outside the door, talking to the nurse as if nothing had happened to him in the first place.

"Phil!" Dan exclaimed, running up to the raven-haired boy and wrapping his arms around his waist. Nudging him backwards slightly, head digging into his chest.

"Dan.." Phil croaked with a smile, putting his head on the brown-eyed boy's shoulder. He squeezed him, and by the time the two let go of each other the nurse had gone back into the office, "Thanks for helping me out.."

"You're kidding me, right? Do you have any idea how much I shat myself when I saw you?!" Dan complained.

Phil laughed gently, "I'm just glad you were there - the room was spinning." He spoke quietly as to not disturb his still uneasy chest.

"What happened?" Dan asked impatiently, gripping Phil's sides like he would collapse if he even dared to let.

"Honestly, I have no idea what went on. I felt sick after eating a cupcake I got from some innocent-looking year 7s. The nurse didn't tell me what I got drugged with but I know it was some pretty strong stuff." Phil explained with a frown, taking one of Dan's hands and swinging it around in his.

"Talking about those year 7s, those little asswipes are dead after what they've done to you." Dan gritted his teeth, scanning the corridor.

Phil chuckled, "Please don't hurt anyone Dan..."

"Oh trust me I won't hurt them..." Dan smiled a big, fake smile, "I'll kill them..."

"Daniel..." Phil raised a eyebrow, looking down with a firm smirk on his face.

Dan rolled his eyes, before popping his head in the crease between Phil's neck and his collarbone. Phil rested his head on Dan's, the empty corridor adding to the perfect moment.

"You don't even know what the kids looked like." Phil whispered.

"I do actually, 'cause they tried to poison me too..." Dan answered with a whisper also.

"What." Phil rose his head from Dan's, clearly going into 'alert' mode. His lips were straight, as if he had lost the ability to smile or frown. His eyes screamed with disbelief and fury.

"Did you eat a chocolate cupcake by any chance, one that you could tell was really sickly just by looking at it?" Dan asked politely.

"Yes..." Phil swallowed loudly.

"I got offered one too...couple of scared kids came up to me and offered me one. I turned them down, and now, I'm glad I did. You didn't though, and were nice enough to fall for their trick..." Dan frowned.

It was as if the tables had turned. Phil now seemed cold, and sharp - protective - and Dan seemed nice, calm - loving. The sides of the boys no one would ever see - no one would ever find. Apart from each other.

"Now I kind of wish it was me that got drugged and not you..." Dan confessed, and for the first time in what had felt like forever, tears glazed his dark chocolate eyes.

Phil was silenced. He'd never seen Dan cry before. Dan hated letting out his emotions in front of people, especially someone as who was at the very top of the school hierarchy as Phil was. He didn't want to show the boy his weak side.