Chapter 4: Bottles

As Dan strolled out of the school grounds, bubbling with frustration, he plugged his earphones into his phone, shoved them into his ears and shuffled his playlist.

Just before he left, he heard something outside his earphones, "Dan!"

Dan took one earphone out, scanning the area. The voice was coming from behind him - he turned, looking up at the roof.

Sure enough, it was Pj - leaning on the gate surrounding the roof.

"Where you going, man?" He asked.

"Somewhere...I'll probably be back in around half an hour." Dan replied flatly.

"Don't take fucking forever - we plan on throwing the bottles as far as we can off the roof once we've finished with them, and we've only got enough for two each so you better get here before we drink them all." Pj yells down, smirking.

"Piss off, if anyone touches my beer they're getting a baseball bat to the face!" Dan scoffed.

"I'll tell them that, boss..." Pj chuckled, plodding away from the ledge and out of sight.

Dan didn't smoke, nor did he do drugs, but he did drink. Just like his father. In Dan's mind, alcohol was way better than any drug - not that he's tried any. It's just the way he sees things. Plus, he knew he would get caught out immediately for doing drugs, and he does not want to deal with anyone's bullshit.

"Seriously, two bottles a fucking person..." Dan murmured, plugging his earphone into his ear again and walking down the road, "...You've got to be kidding me..."

At last, Dan arrived at his destination; the park. I know, not your typical place for a delinquent, but the woods definitely was. The woods covered a good 25% of the park, and in the middle rest a small area with no trees but a few logs and the bottom of trunks from trees to sit on. Dan liked it there, it was quiet and deserted. He was pretty sure barely anyone knew it was there. The place was thought to have been for school class' to come and sit around when they were doing a nature topic or something.

Dan sat on the biggest tree trunk - thinking. It's been exactly 6 months since it happened. He hates to think about it, but it always creeps up on him. In the end, it's going to end up driving him absolutely insane; not that it already hasn't.

Closing his eyes, he thought over everything that happened that day...

It was just before he went into Year 11 - there was crying, fighting, even screaming. And Dan couldn't do anything about it. Just watch, in tears, as his entire world crumbled into pieces.

It's the main reason he's so messed up now.

All of a sudden, Dan had decided he'd had enough. He stood, grabbing a large branch that was led on the floor, and heaved it up behind his shoulder. Violently, he swung the branch around and hit a nearby tree. The branch broke from the force.

Dan panted, furious, dropping the remaining bit of wood in his hand onto the grass. He turned around.

"Fffuck me" He jumped, still panting. Someone was stood underneath a tree at the other side of the area.

It was Phil, his arms crossed and a small perplexed look crossing his face.

"No thanks.." He answered cheekily.

Dan glared at him, narrowing his eyes, "What are you doing here? Stalking me or some shit?" He queried in annoyance.

"I came here with a few friends actually." Phil answered back confidently, stepping forward a bit.

"What, your imaginary friends?" Dan argued nastily.

"No," Phil huffed, his tone as serious as ever, "They all went to the bathroom so I thought I'd come here."

Dan rolled his eyes, inhaling and exhaling deeply, irritated.

"Anyway..." Phil continued on, "What the hell was that all about?"

"What was what all about?" Dan remarked cockily, sitting down with his legs open and messing with his nails.

"That." Phil pointed towards the broken top half of the branch that had flown all the way to the other side of the area.

"None of your fuckin business..." Dan spoke vexingly, "Now piss off."

"No." Phil said simply.

"You are so fucking lucky I don't have my bat with me, Lester.." Dan mumbled angrily, standing up again.

"Dan, we both know you wouldn't hit me..." Phil proclaimed, raising an eyebrow.

Dan clenched his fists, aggravated, before storming up to Phil and standing two feet in front of him.

"And what the fuck makes you say that?" Dan provoked.

Phil smirked, eyeing Dan and raising his eyebrows as if saying 'really?' .

Dan growled, his annoyance levels rising drastically, "Listen, Phil, I don't know who the fuck you think you are but I'm not having it..."

"I know you're not, I can tell.." Phil agreed cleverly.

Enraged, Dan clasped Phil's shirt, pulling him down so their faces were level with each other.

"Shut it, will you." He threatened.

"What will you do if I don't?" Phil smirked again.

Eyes dark, Dan shoved him backwards so hard Phil bumped into a tree, whacking his head on the wood. He clutched the back of his head in pain, Dan slowly making his way forward.

"That's what I'll do..." He grumbled.

Just like that, he left, leaving Phil by himself.

'Time to go chuck some bottles...'